Kayaksailor & LH MK 2 used for 2 paddlers

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

FrankP

Kayaksailor & LH MK 2 used for 2 paddlers

Post by FrankP »

Given the length of the LH MK 2 and the Kayaksailor either mounted on the Klepper America Kayaksailor mount or not; is there enough space to have a bow paddler to be comfortable and able to paddle without the boom being in their chest (especially a chesty wife) or face when the sail is fully deployed?

If you use the mast hole on the coaming what can be added to it to keep water out when not used for sailing?

How often do you use the Expedition spray cover for both sailing or paddling? We used our Advanced Elements deck conversion all the time and as I remember the openings were 31 inches. Does anybody know the exact measurement of the holes in the Expedition spray cover?

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Kayaksailor & LH MK 2 used for 2 paddlers

Post by DLee »

Frank I answered this over in the Long Haul section. The forward person will definitely not be able to paddle using the KS with the Klepper mount when the sail is deployed. I think there is a little obstruction for the forward person when the sail is folded down, but not terrible.

You might want to talk to Mark at Long Haul and see if there is an easy way to move the seat back 6-10 inches when using the Kayaksailor.

I don't think the forward person will ever be able to paddle with the sail up though unless they are moved well back into your leg space. Although using a canoe paddle up front might be a good solution.

Dennis
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

If available, could you send pictures of the methods you have used to mount your Kayaksailor rig to your Long Haul or Klepper. I don't think the Klepper America mount will work since we almost always paddle double. I think a wood riser over the deck that is strapped down will put the rig more forward and allow the front paddler more room to paddle. It will place the leeboards deeper in the water too. I'm interested in your ideas for design.
Happy New Year!

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

No pics, sorry, but some suggestions anyway. For a deck-mount on my Kahuna I use split pool noodles on the Kuvia cross tube and then I lash another pair of giant pool noodles between the deck and cross tube. Then Iash the cross member with strap that goes under the hull and another two back to a pair of d-rings on the deck. One more strap between bow and nose of the Kuvia and you are done. Not elegant but it works. If you do not have a protective deck strip then I would also suggest using something between the deck and the Kuvia main body.

I don't know what kind of behavior there might be by moving the rig so far forward of the CLR, you might have some strange weather helm or lee helm, I don't know enough about sailing physics to offer an opinion. I expect it will just feel like a jib sail, and that is no problem with the Klepper and, I assume, the Long Haul as long as you have enough weight in the boat.

Have a blast with your new boat!

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Alex

Post by Alex »

We have found that the fact that with the Kleeper mount on our LH Mk2 the front person cannot paddle not to be a problem. The front person is the one hadling the main and jib sheets,and the lea boards. They are too busy to paddle. The beauty of the kayak sailor is the ease of raising and lowering while underway. If you get bored sailing, lower it; if you are tired and the wind is right, raise it :)
Alex

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

Alex thanks. Since we will have the same kayak and sail, is there any way you could let me know how many inches there are from the end of the boom with the Klepper America mount & KS when it is down and fully raised up? I don't want the sail swinging to close to her body & face when we tack or jibe. She is not that concerned about paddling while under sail. In her words "that is why she brings me along".

BTW, we will be buying the 1.6 m sail and Genoa combo. Since the kayak is dark blue I think I will get the blue stripe and blue Genoa. What combination do you have?

Alex

Post by Alex »

Hi Frank
The Boom distance does not change with of position of sail. Boom swings not intimidating. Send me an email and ill send you a picture. The boat is put away got the winter so I can't give you specific inches. Yes we got the blue genoa too. I can't attach the picture to this as the file size is to large

Alex

mikel
recent arrival

Post by mikel »

Is the Kayaksailor 1.6 to much sail for the doubles in strong winds. I have a folbot GII and am going to get a1.4 0
or 1.6. All replies welcome.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

My experience is with the Kayaksailer 1.6 on a Klepper Aerius II and Klepper Quattro and I am comfortable in any wind. The rig can also be reefed if needed. I would definitely go for the 1.6.
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

As Greg said, go for the 1.6. It reefs easily and you have a big boat. I find myself wanting a larger sail much more often than wanting a smaller one with the AII.

D
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Return to “Sailing Gear”