Looking for a good source for "J" Bolts to attach accessorys

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

DasBlauwal4

Looking for a good source for "J" Bolts to attach accessorys

Post by DasBlauwal4 »

Greetings everyone, I hope this is the right place for this, It's a sailing accessory for my purposes. I'm currently gathering gear to build a sailing deck board for my Klepper Blauwal 4. I'd rather not have to order the seemingly pricy J bolts from the folder manufacturers, although it may have to go that way. Just trying to shave a few bucks and have some fun building my own. About $75.00 is the going rate it seems for an finished 4x22 inch of marine grade piece of plywood with the bolts attach to the deck, I'd like to beat this price point. So my question is if anyone knows a good online source to purchase some J bolts to attach to the deck I'd be grateful.

Thank you,
Matt

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Looking for a good source for "J" Bolts to attach access

Post by DLee »

Matt, I know where you're coming from. I bought a couple boards when they were on sale from Long Haul hoping one of them would fit the sailing board purpose. But the fact is, you don't want those big knob sticking up on your sailing board because you are going to be moving out to the ends and the knobs are only out as far as the coaming.

I made a sailing board that hung over each side of the coaming by several inches and simply used bungee cords to hold it in place. The problem with my board is that it ended up being too slippery. I never got comfortable using it and now I think I've moved beyond it in a way.

My most successful sailing fabrication to date is the sailing deck, which I use all the time now whether sailing or not.

Image Image Image

This deck allows me to sit on my knees (with the type IV throwable cushion), kneel and when the wind is steady stand while sailing. It really allows you to climb out over the gunnel with tremendous ease. I found the board on top of the coaming a little too high - because I never really got out on the wings of it that well - and being up that high in the center of the boat really doesn't help. You need to be out over the edge.

The real solution, I think, is a bench sort of seat that runs parallel to the coaming and rests on the sponson on the outer edge of the boat. This would allow a comfortable seat for leaning out - and perhaps keeping your toes tucked under somewhere on the opposite side of the boat. I've seen an illustration on a great German site... can't find it now. I have sat on the edge of the coaming/outer canvas, but it is terribly uncomfortable. In a strong wind it seemed like a good position though. It should be possible to find a simple solution to this. The trick being able to get on and off quickly.

The problem is that there is such a fine line with the Klepper and full sail rig (not sure what you're using) between balance and going too far out. Standing on my sailing deck is by far the most controllable position I have found while sailing. But it's really nerve wracking and muscle tensing at the same time.

Go back in the forum and you will find a sailing board with foam wedges on the wings. Looks like a pretty good possibility.

But to finally answer your question. You can get the bolts at Long Haul folding kayaks for around $19 each. But I would start by buying some marine ply and experimenting with board size and holding it in with straps and/or bungees.
http://www.longhaulfoldingkayaks.com/ac ... gory_id=23

Please show us what you come up with.

dennis
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Dennis, the boards sitting on the deck that you refer to are i think the same ones as shown on the German site of old boats which you know, www.faltbootbastine.de. Click on the Super-T6 and scroll up to see drawing of these deck add on,s.

DasBlauwal4

Post by DasBlauwal4 »

Dennis, thanks for the awesome ideas and info on your sail deck. I had a simmilar thought the moment I looked at a pict of a klepper master. I've had a few good phone questions and what not with the good folks over there at longhaul, Terry and Mark are really helpfull with my novice questions and have directed me through some basic repairs i had to make on my Blauwal4. I'm actually trying to fab the sailing cleat board that attaches up front that holds the lines.

I have a Blauwal 4 and have only paddled it in the few times in the months that i have owned it. So far i have aquired an old klepper sail rig from a fellow who was selling an arius 2. A rudder and foot control. Bought the hiking seat and hand tiller from longhaul and have and from joel at klepper USA the rollfock to reel the jib. Also i have read my copy of the folding kayaker like a bible.

I have yet to see any of my sailing setup on my rig. I'm sure i will have a lot of questions in the near future.

Matt

DLee

Post by DLee »

Yes John, that's it. Here's the direct link: http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-klepp ... -1938.html

I wonder if this design ever made it past the drawing stage?

I'll try and take a picture of my control board in the next day or two and post it. It's not brilliant, but it works pretty decent.

How much did that jib furler set you back? I set up a system where the can be pulled in and shoved under the front of the coaming, and then deployed quickly by pulling the lines - a continuous loop set-up. But I've always been interested in the furler. I think John Allsop has one as well.

Sailing is a blast.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

DasBlauwal4

Post by DasBlauwal4 »

Wow! I've seen this page before but never made it past the keel contraption. I could see using some thicker tool handles like from a wheel barrel notched out and run across the top attached with j bolts at the coming then one could plank a seat onto the dowels. How much of a seat do you suppose you need 6-8 inches x the space between two ribs? I wonder how kleppers attached to the hull? It seems like if the boat was leaning a lot the seat supports could create a drag?

The "rollfock" was around $150 plus shipping and includes the swivel that attaches at top of the mast. I jumped on it because it was in stock at Klepper US. I had to call, it wasn't on their website, it's a pretty poor website. Before i calles the US shop I actually tried to order it on the german site using a translator tool but they don't have a us ship to in the drop down menu.

Thanks,

Matt

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Kleppers hiking seat is held on by straps which go to the underside of the seat, nothing sticks above that will stick in a "backside".
Attachments
Klepper Hiking seat.jpg

CanvasClipper

Post by CanvasClipper »

Good luck with the bolts: wrote to Klepper last week to buy four J- bolts ("hakenschraube") at 9.50 euros each. That was fine - cheaper than LH, anyway. Then Klepper tried to rush me 80 euros (yep, *eighty*) for the shipping from Germany to South Africa. That's ridiculous. Won't be buying from them ...

So, back to the original poster's question :D, does anyone have any ideas for what I could use in place of the manufacturers' J-bolts to attach the crosspiece to the coaming of my AEII? Any advice/tips gratefully received.

PS: That sailing deck is the business! Want!

CanvasClipper

Post by CanvasClipper »

DLee wrote:My most successful sailing fabrication to date is the sailing deck, which I use all the time now whether sailing or not.
Hi Dennis,

Please could you tell us more about the deck you made for your Klepper? I would love to make one myself - that is exactly what my AEII needs. Specs and tips would be most welcome.

You also say you use it whether you're sailing or not. What kind of seats do you use when paddling then?

Thanks in anticipation. :D

PK

DasBlauwal4

Post by DasBlauwal4 »

Hey PK,

If you haven't seen it yet Dennis has a thread showing the construction of his sailing deck and how he pieced it together.

Seems pretty simple using foam and plywood. I'm thinking about making one myself, I'd probably start with cardboard to trace the shape and have at it!

http://www.foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/view ... =25&t=4343

Good luck!

Matt

CanvasClipper

Post by CanvasClipper »

DasBlauwal4 wrote:Hey PK,

If you haven't seen it yet Dennis has a thread showing the construction of his sailing deck and how he pieced it together.
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the link - perfect! All the info I needed. Plus a great solution to the hand tiller problem that's been bugging me.

cheers and thanks,

PK

DLee

Post by DLee »

Hey Guys. Glad you like the sailing deck.

If I remember correctly I had a piece of marine ply that happened to be about the correct length and width. I was able to drop it into the boat uncut to mark the cut outs for the ribs. After cutting the rib slots I could fit the board down on top of the ribs and trace out a shape for the sides to be cut. It just so happened that some foam building insulation I had in the shed was the perfect thickness to match the height of the ribs from the keel board. Cutting the foam was probably the most tedious part of the entire process. But this insulation foam is tough and doesn't fall apart every time you move it so I think it was a good choice. I always think that some 'short ribs' would be a nice replacement for the foam... but the foam works.

I have stuck with the simple method of strapping the board down - one strap between each set of ribs and it's not going anywhere. I use the Long Haul comfort seat on top of the board and use straps to hold it in place as well. A good set of straps will allow you to mount the seat just about anywhere on the board that you like - the board makes it easy to work and move around in the cockpit so it's possible to adjust the seat if necessary while out on the water. Also, with snap buckles you can easily pop the seat out of it's locked position and move it out of the way for sailing. When conditions are mild (for sailing) I will often just use the Comfort seat loose on the sailing deck... just like you would in camp... sitting in the rear of the cockpit you can stretch your legs out on the deck and hold the tiller extension in your hand. Quite civilized. Ha.

I could make some measurements and pictures of the deck for you guys if you like. I'm very happy with it.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

CanvasClipper

Post by CanvasClipper »

DLee wrote:Hey Guys. Glad you like the sailing deck ..... I could make some measurements and pictures of the deck for you guys if you like. I'm very happy with it.d
Dennis,

If it's not too much trouble, I would really appreciate that, thank-you.

This deck is the best Klepper mod I've seen in yonks. Nice one :!:

Thanks,

PK

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

I saw these J bolts on the Folbot website http://www.folbot.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? ... Code=PARTS Don't know if they are what you are looking for but they are $6.00 each.

DasBlauwal4

Post by DasBlauwal4 »

I saw these J bolts on the Folbot website http://www.folbot.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? ... Code=PARTS Don't know if they are what you are looking for but they are $6.00 each.

Thanks for the info Frank,

The J bolts seem like a good deal but Folbot boats seem to be aluminum fabrication and the bolts seem they my not fit the Ash coming on the Klepper. I am liking the price point though price is per set!

I think I'll go the Longhaul route. I know they will fit and won't damage the coming but 40 bucks is steep for some bolts!

Thanks,

Matt

Return to “Sailing Gear”