Looking for a good source for "J" Bolts to attach accessorys

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Looking for a good source for "J" Bolts to attach access

Post by DLee »

Matt, I would probably buy from Longhaul as well because I like giving them my business. But, I have considered making these myself with a little help from the local welder but my feeling was that unless you were making a bunch of them the price would be the same and the LH finish quality would probably be better.

I've seen the knobs at the local hardware store and that got me thinking... but in the long run I think it's too much work. Check the classifieds at Long Haul. A while back they had boards on sale and when you consider the cost of the bolts alone, adding another $15-25 for the finished board didn't seem so bad. To me it's the finishing work that becomes tedious. Unless I have a bunch to do and am all set up for it, it's easier to pay the money to Mark for a finished piece than it was to buy the varnish, brushes, turpentine, wood... etc.

I have a rickety old tent frame that I set up in the backyard and cover with plastic when I do varnishing because stuff falls from the trees all year long (I never knew this when I lived in the city). When the planets align it's great, but it seems like there is constantly a weather or time component getting in the way.

The problem I have with Mark's boards is that I hate drilling into them...

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

For "J" bolts i would either buy them from Klepper or Longhaul. We have boats and equipment worth quite a lot of money and then try and save very little by obtaining an accesory that probably dosn,t work as well on our boats. I have Kleppers and a Folbot Yukon, the "J" bolts supplied for Folbots outrigger set up go through holes in the coaming, (called washboard by Folbot) i found these very "fiddle" and awkward to use so i discarded them and came up with my own way to hold Folbots outrigger system on. I don,t think Folbots "J" bolts would work very well on a Klepper as the skin attaches to the coaming in a totally different way. Here is how i attach the Folbot outriggers to the Yukon by putting a bar through the coaming in the same place as Folbot attach the outriggers. If i was attaching it at a wider part of the coaming i would probably put bolts through, one at each side and drill and tap through the bolt to take the bolt that holds the out rigger as in the bar. As you can probably see a bolt goes through the "cross tube" and into the tapped holes in the "bar".
Attachments
mounting bar through coaming for sail mount 001.jpg
mounting bar through coaming for sail mount 002.jpg
mounting bar through coaming for sail mount 003.jpg

DLee

Post by DLee »

Hey John, I don't quite understand how the board with the cross bar on it connects to the pin that goes through the 'washboard.' It's a clean looking setup. Do you have a closer shot of the board and pin connection?

I have a dowel to put inside the center tube of my Hobie outrigger but I need to trim it down a bit - not quite sure what the most efficient way to do this is - I'm thinking the plane might work. I only need to take a few hairs off... but in 360˚. Any suggestions? I'm hoping to mount the bar right to the coaming with J-clamps and am putting the dowel inside to keep from crushing the aluminum tube as you did on your Folbot outrigger.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

DLee

Post by DLee »

I made some pictures and measurements of the Sailing deck today. I'll put some pics and a link to more pictures in the Sailing deck link mentioned earlier.

Meanwhile, here are two pics of how I set up my control board:

This is a kind of rudimentary setup but it works. The two outboard clam cleats are for the jib sheets and work fairly well. The single clam cleat on the starboard side holds the main sheet haul-up. Releasing this line allows the sail to dropped very quickly. The two clam cleats on the port side are for the jib sheet haul. I have the jib rigged on a continuous loop so that releasing these two lines drops the jib and allows it to be stowed in the front of the cockpit. One jib line goes to the top of the mast and the other to the bow so that the jib can be adjusted higher or lower from the deck. I hope that makes some sort of sense. Both the jib and main mast lines run through a shackle connects to the cleats where these lines would normally be tied off. The jib bow line runs straight to the clamshell from the bow shackle.

I have guides for these three clam shells to help hold these lines down as they run into the cleats. The only problem with this system is that the sail lines put a lot of pressure on the J-bolts holding the board in place on the coaming.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Dennis the sailing deck looks good, i will have to send for some clam cleats. Now the outrigger on the Folbot, two long screws or bolts go through the cross tube,through the sail mounting board and into the cross bar that is through the coaming, there,s one screw at each side. When i raised the pontoons i put thick ply between the tube, the sail mount board and the coaming, to get bolts long enough i had to buy threaded rod and cut them to the length i wanted. here,s a photo but not good, see if it,s clear enough. I managed to get dowel that just fit in Folbots tube. Maybe you will have to get some rough sand paper wrap it around the dowel and rub for many hours, it,s probably too long to use a lathe even if you have one in your area where it could be done.
Attachments
RAISING THE FOLBOT PONTOONS.jpg

DasBlauwal4

Post by DasBlauwal4 »

So I made a deckboard today utilizing some scrap 1/2 inch RTG (ready to go) and the CNC router at wk. I'm a graphic designer at a largeformat digital sign shop and we often print directly to 4x8 sheets of this stuff for building sites ect.

I made the board 22x6 inches but had to go back and widen the slits with my hammer drill at home so i kinda chipped it a bit.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... /image.jpg

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Nice, what can we say about a piece of wood. Similar to my "cotrol board", but get the right cleats, i use what is local.
Attachments
AERIUS 2 with KAYAKSAILOR SAIL 005.jpg

DLee

Post by DLee »

John, thanks for that detailed shot of the thru-bolts. I thought that might have been what you meant but the connecting bar seemed a little small for holding an outrigger system. Does it work well? I'm also surprised it's at such a narrow point of the washboard.

BTW, I cut the dowel down to around 26" and put it into a long woodworkers clamp, the kind that is long enough to clamp the dowel on both ends. Then holding the clamp (and dowel) with one hand (which wasn't hard to do since the clamp was flat on it's backside) I used a block plane to make a series of cuts around the dowel. Just like eating corn on the cob... Around once and then around a second time to clean up high spots - fit's beautifully now. Now to size and drill the holes for the web bolts. Might do two sets as I'd like this to work on the T9 as well. And on the T9 it should fit considerably forward much like your Folbot.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Dennis, yes the outrigger seems too far forward on the Yukon, but as that is where Folbot put it i just did it in the same place, so far it has been ok. I have also fitted it behind the seat but i don,t think i have any photos of it. Here is a photo of how i raised the outriggers when i used a Klepper S1 sail, also with a home made "nose piece" on the coaming, and a home made lee board which is "free swinging" and so far has worked well, there is some heavy copper on the bottom. Good to hear the dowel has worked out without too much work, probably not really needed but nice to know it,s there.
Attachments
YUKON with  S1 KLEPPER SAIL 014.jpg

DLee

Post by DLee »

Looks good John. How did that sail? I like the idea of the lee board getting a free ride on the outrigger. Do you have the mast stays on the outrigger as well? Hard to tell in the picture.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

DasBlauwal4

Post by DasBlauwal4 »

To follow up on my own topic. I ended up calling Klepper USA after looking everywhere else. Turns out they sell J bolts in two sizes, long and short for $12.75 a each.

Case solved!

DLee

Post by DLee »

Good call. Did he have them in stock?

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

DasBlauwal4

Post by DasBlauwal4 »

Dennis,
The j bolts were not in stock but he said there is a new shipment due in at the end of the month.

By the way I made some measurements on my rig to fabricate my own version of your sailing deck design. I was wondering, How much tolerence did you allow between the rib spacing? I'm guessing for mine a 1/6 on each end? For example the rib is 1/2 inch thick so my gaps will be 5/8" thick.

Thanks,
Matt

DLee

Post by DLee »

Matt, I'm guessing you meant 1/16"... I think that's exactly what I did. It's a frictionless fit and looks good.

I think I might order a set of the long bolts as well. I bought a Hobie outrigger system for when things start going down the tubes. I hope to mount the outrigger center shaft to the coaming with the J-bolts. I hope they are long enough. Did you get an actual length on the long J-bolts?

I think I finished my deck with Captain's Spar Varnish. Probably three coats. Daddy don't want no splinters in his kneecaps...

So when do all these sailing decks get to sail together?

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Dennis, The length of the short J bolt is 2 5/16 and the length of the long one is 3 7/16. If you find you need a "stack" of washers when using the long "J" bolts, (i don,t cut them down), i make thick washers from ply. The Folbot Yukon sailed well when using the S1 main sail, i didn,t try the jib on it.
Attachments
J BOLTS- KLEPPER.jpg

Return to “Sailing Gear”