Cockleshell heros sailing

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Cockleshell heros sailing

Post by DLee »

I saw this recent book and was surprised to see both a sail and very short outrigger set-up on board. Look at how the sail is held off the shortened mast - kind of an impromptu lateen rig? or is he just lowering the sail? Is that reefing? A lot of interesting information here. I wish I could see the picture bigger and better.

Click on the cover shot and it will enlarge the entire image a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/MOST-SECRET-The-C ... im_sbs_b_1

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Cockleshell heros sailing

Post by gbellware »

Looks to me like he is lowering a furled main. The sheet in hand looks like the main hauling line and the mast is in two pieces. But I am just guessing.
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

I think it,s best to buy the book as there are a number of photos of the sails used by the British Commandoes. The mast they used was very short and the sail top spar was attached to the mast only about a quarter of it,s length from the front so i think there was a "line" from the front of the sail to the bow or some convenient place on the deck. They seem to have been mostly sailed loose footed. The book is The COCKLESHELL CANOES British Military Canoes of World War Two by Quentin Rees isbn 978 1 84868 065 4 first published in 2008, i think the latest publication has a little more info. Another good book by Quentin Rees is COCKLESHELL Heroes The Final Witness, about the raid into Bordeaux harbour. Published in 2010. A lot of the time the Commandoes semed to use canoe paddles no doubt to stop "crashing" the paddles.

slidegear

Post by slidegear »

Cool post. I think I figured out how to get a closer look at this particular vessel. The paddles they used are similar to the Pimu paddles of the Catalina Island Natives. It would be great to be able to see what it's all about. Perhaps even to sail or paddle it.

DLee

Post by DLee »

Yeah I noticed the paddles as well.

I also think the really close rigged outriggers are interesting, I love that idea. I wonder what they do with the outriggers when they want to paddle.

It probably is worth ordering the book.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

slidegear

Post by slidegear »

Or check out this old film...