Sailing the T9

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Sailing the T9

Post by DLee »

The T9 is a sponson-less Klepper. It has a lot of rocker and is a very responsive boat. I'll try again in warmer weather but while it's cold I'm going to stick with the Hobie Sidekick outriggers to keep things upright and dry.

This outrigger system seems great. Light, smallish and stow-able. My first sailing venture with the rudder and outrigger a huge success even though winds where very light. Looking forward to more trips with this combo. I'll post some more pics showing the outriggers better when I get a chance.

Here she is with the Kayaksailer 1.6 sail and genoa.

Dennis
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Sailing the T9

Post by gbellware »

Thanks Dennis, great pic. the T9 looks absolutely "alive" and in good balance. Safe paddling!
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Dennis, the photo is really good, i expect the kayaksailor will propel it with ease and you will find it good on your Aerius 2. Being much easier and quicker than the S4 to rig it may become your sail outfit of choice.

DasBlauwal4

Post by DasBlauwal4 »

Cool photo, how old is your T9? Nice setup!

DasBlauwal4

Post by DasBlauwal4 »

Dennis, My Klepper is sponsonless also, do you use bow and stern airbags?
I'm thinking about making some for mine with leftover pvc vinyl from my outrigger project.

DLee

Post by DLee »

Thanks guys.

John the KS is definitely the go-to sail but there's always something special about taking the time (if you have it) to set up the S4 rig and let her take off. I love them both. You know, you've got a bucket load of sails yourself.

Blauwahl,

I do use flotation bags both fore and aft in the T9. But high on the list of things to do is figure out some flotation for the gunnels. I have found the T9 very difficult to re-enter once it becomes swamped. Filled with water upright orientation is similar to a log. We talk about this a little in the Klepper column - I think the discussion is 'Sailing the T9.' I think some custom sponsons along the gunnels would be great for helping stability when swamped. Love to hear some of your ideas.

If you haven't practiced a water exit/entry with your sponson-less boat, you probably should. I was very surprised how difficult my boat became after being swamped. A little water was no problem, but swamped became a real challenge to get back in and stay upright once inside.

Dennis
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

slidegear

Post by slidegear »

Man D, that boat and the way you rigged it just looks like it's made for each other. Beautiful! Great job.

DLee

Post by DLee »

Thanks Alan,

It's not as cool, but it sure is stress free with the training wheels.

Dennis
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Return to “Sailing Gear”