Added a front sail on my Lodaga 1 ADV

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

HowardW

Added a front sail on my Lodaga 1 ADV

Post by HowardW »

After several times saling, I found that the 2.5㎡ sail is too small to support high speed sailing in weak wind. So i made a front sail by myself.

I tried it in the Daya bay last week. The sails seemed working fine. But the rudder was broken after 20 minutes sailing. Now i have some doubts whether the body of the ladoga 1 adv is strong engough to support an additional front sail.
front sail.jpg
The broken rudder
Rudder broken.jpg
It was not very difficult to repair it

the link of sailing vedio
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTU4NzkyOTky.html

Anyway the feeling of high speed sailing with my enhanced ladoga 1 adv was very well

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Added a front sail on my Lodaga 1 ADV

Post by john allsop »

The sailing rig looks good, it,s a pity they havn,t made the rudder assembly strong enough. I hope you can make it so it won,t break again without weakening the structure. If the rig is made for this boat then there is a design flaw or poor work done in the manufacture of the boat. Is there any warrenty or guarantee

HowardW

Post by HowardW »

Yes, I already fixed the rudder by a very strong PVC glue. I believe it will not break again. Actually i bought this boat from Out-Trade GmbH 3 years ago. Now i live in China ,far away from Gamany. So i don't expect any warrenty or guarantee.

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

Hi Howard, that's quite a jib you added to your rig. Very nice. It looks like you just about doubled your sail area. Looks like you are getting some nice speed in your video as well.

Your rudder failure does look like it was purely an issue of gluing. I'm guessing you are correct in not expecting it to break again with a solid re-gluing. As far as the rest of the boat being able to take the strain... ? I'd be tempted to keep sailing and just keep a close eye on what's going on in the rib cage. The outriggers are probably adding more strain to the boat than the additional sail. Disassembly after a each of the next few sails should tell you whether the strain on the mast is affecting the ribs and stringers inside.

In other words; I wouldn't let the rudder coming unglued scare me that the rest of the boat isn't up to the task. But if your gut is telling you that the boats under too heavy a load while sailing... I would listen to that and inspect the frame a little closer at disassembly.

That's a nice outrigger package. Is that from Ladoga?

Dennis
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

HowardW

Post by HowardW »

Hi Dennis , Thanks.
Yes, The outrigger is from Ladoga.