BSD + Kayaksailor schooner rig?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

HeavyWeather

BSD + Kayaksailor schooner rig?

Post by HeavyWeather »

Just curious if anyone has tried setting up both BSD and Kayaksailor rigs on their boat?

It seems a little bit wrong, but I'd like to give it a shot.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: BSD + Kayaksailor schooner rig?

Post by gbellware »

I doubt whether anyone has tried, you will be the first. Assume the BSD will be aft of the cockpit? And do you have the kayaksailer jib? Would love to see pics, make sure your camera is waterproof :-)

Greg
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

The BSD is currently between the two cockpits on the Folbot GII. Was thinking of leaving it where it is and mounting the Kayaksailor way up front.

Just got the Kuvia rig in yesterday. I did get the genoa as well. Forcing myself to be productive before playing with it all. Not sure how to rig for single handing yet. Summon the press gang!

Waterproof housing for the camera is in route. Promises to be a wet ride indeed.

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

Started messing around with mounting and rigging options. For two people, deployment and operation should be fairly straighforward. Rigging for single handing is a little more complicated. Setting up the controls is easy enough. Stowing sail on the Kayaksailor rig after dropping the mast is the tricky bit. Well, tricky if you don't want to crawl up to the front while on the water that is.

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

Hey Heavy, make yourself a sailing deck or get a few type IV flotation cushions to spread out in the bottom of the boat to kneel on. Remove the front seat and you'll be able to move all around the boat no problem. I do it all the time. I'm actually trying to find a good lawn chair to keep at the rear of the cockpit for lounging while sailing or fishing...

There's at least one thread on building the sailing deck. But making the inner hull more comfortable with foam pads or cushions will work as well.

Have you tried sailing your Balogh without the outriggers? Is that remotely possible? One thing that I haven't done enough of but it works really well, is to sail standing... on the sailing deck. Countering the boats lean is really easy, it's just crazy to do; but totally fun to try.

The other thing I wanted to ask is whether you had tried to rig a jib with the Balogh?

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

The sailing deck thread was a good read. Not sure I'll go there but I do love to how people have modified their boats.

I have not tried the BSD rig without the outriggers. Yes I'm a chicken. Maybe when the temps stay in the solid 90's and I need to cool off. Seriously though, the wind around here tends to be a bit gusty. Often 20-35 mph kind of gusty. It is not unusual to have the BSD fully reefed and still have the ama submerge completely when it gusts up a bit. I did try the kayak sailor alone (sans BSD and outriggers) in 20-25 mph winds last week. It was fund, wet, and exhausting.

Have not tried a jib on the BSD. Others have talked about it, and I'm sure it's been done. I get enough flex on the unstayed mast as it is. Don't think I will be trying that.

DLee

Post by DLee »

Unstayed... yes, I forgot about that. That's a lot of sail for no stays. I don't know about the GII but the Kleppers and Long Hauls all have tie downs for shrouds or stays. It would probably be pretty easy to take some line, put a clove hitch at the top of the mast and run a stay down to either side. I guess David doesn't feel it's necessary but I'd probably give it a try just for the goof.

Most double bat wings that I've seen have the smaller sail in the stern as a mizzen. The sailing canoes that I've seen with this set-up really fly and look great. Greg's description earlier in this thread - rigging the KS with the S4 sounds like a nightmare but probably fun to do. I can't imagine this being done any easier than what Greg described - I probably would have just used the one set of Klepper lee boards though (I can't remember what Greg did...) and I'm sure the BSD lee board would be plenty for the combo. Is it a Ketch if the smaller sail is in front on a two masted rig? With your BSD rigged in the center I think it would be fun to try. What a handful though. Ha.

If you do it, I think we'd all love to see some pictures.

Here's a backyard experiment I did a while back, need to figure out how to mount the mizzen mast though...

It would be much cooler with a batwing in the back... but 'run what your brung' continues to be the motto of the day around here. Now that I have a set of outriggers I might actually try and make this happen.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

Currently working on the mounting rig for the Kayaksailor... Took a couple shots yesterday of the basic setup. Will post as soon as I can work out img uploading/hosting..

I am super excited to try this out. Will add a control board for the aft seat soon. It's so crazy, it just might work.

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

Here you go... This is sans genoa, outriggers, leeboard, and rudder. Will post more when it's ready to sail.

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

Went to the Columbia River on Sat to test the rig. Guess what? No wind!

I guess there is a first for everything.

One upshot though... I left the Kayaksailor rig on for a fast deploying, visibility multiplyer. Lots of powerboaters out there on the river crossing. It helped.

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

Have you tested the KS-BSD rig? If so please update.

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

I can't believe I haven't updated this thread. Yes I have taken it out a few times over the summer. With a crew of two it has been well balanced and effective. Hardly ever needed to use the Kayaksailor lee boards, pretty much only the big BSD lee board. Having a bit more sail makes the Greenland II more lively with two people on board. Much less sluggish in light airs. Have not tried single handed sail yet.

It is a fun sail! Not for the shy. You will attract stares, cameras, and conversation unless you go somewhere remote. I don't really like showboating but if it gets more people interested in folding kayaks thats cool.

I will see if I can get some photos or video up in the next couple days.

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

One quick question: how fast have you sailed with both sails at any given wind speed?

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

Heavyweather have you any more input on your KS & BSD schooner setup? I am buying a 36 HP Sport and I already own a 1.6 m / Genoa KS rig. I hope to use them at the same time. How do you feel they work together on your G2? Do you have any video or more pictures?

DLee

Post by DLee »

Frank stop pussyfootin' around. You know you want the double BSD! Just go for it!

ha.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Return to “Sailing Gear”