BSD + Kayaksailor schooner rig?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

FrankP

Re: BSD + Kayaksailor schooner rig?

Post by FrankP »

D you are right but since money is a factor, I will at least try the KS up front & the BSD in the mid position for a while. If it looks goofy I'm sure my wife will want to pony up the money for the BSD 24. I think it will be fine but I wish there were more pictures or videos. The downside of waiting is that the front keel & coamings will have to be sent in to LH for modifications. Unless Mark has a keel loaner program we would be off the water too long. HA!

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

Frank why don't you do it yourself?

I really don't think it's that complicated and in the end it will build your confidence to do other stuff on your own. One thing that Mark and several people on this forum have remarked on over the years is how conducive these boats are to owner modification and experimentation.

Believe me, I know how hard it is to take that first step, drill that first hole. I love to keep stuff in it's original state and often go way out of my way to build something that can be mounted and removed from the original without any impact on the original itself.... but Mark's going to drill some holes... why not you?

Take your time, dry fit the assembly with clamps, ropes, whatever. Measure, measure again, and when it all feels good, do it. If you have a garage and a couple tools, you're golden. This is the perfect time to do this stuff. Do you already have all the parts?

What needs to be done on the keel? A mast step?

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Making and fitting the parts as required won,t be difficult providing you have some basic tools and somewhere to do it,apartment dwellers may have a problem. Here is the latest mast i have had to make a "step" for, if thats the correct word. It required a piece of wood or ply 5/8 or thicker for the base of the mast to go into (round hole). To permanantly attach wood this thick to the "keel" would have stopped it folding so you will see how i have done it. I did glue some1/4 ply onto the ply on the keel to make it thicker but it still folds. The forward small hole is there if i think it needs to be bolted to the forward part, we are in the folding area and i dont want to put strain on the hinge part if it wants to flex. There are two holes in the wood because when i stepped back after the fitting i saw the sail was "raked wrong" so i corrected it and if all works out well the hole i don,t need will have some dowel glued in it. Now how do you like the mast or is it a lightening conductor. Of course the ply with the square hole is for the Klepper S2 sail rig. The mast goes through a fitting in the forward outrigger cross tube, if needed in would have ply across with the "mast hole" and held on with"J" bolts.
Attachments
Russian outriggers home made spray cover.jpg
Russian outriggers home made spray cover 001.jpg
Russian outriggers home made spray cover 001.jpg (44.8 KiB) Viewed 387 times

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

. Believe me I thought about doing the mods myself & Mark said it is very easy to drill holes wrong & ruin parts. You may ask of course Mark would want to mount the rig but I was told by Stacy that it takes roughly 5 hours to mount it correctly. He has to put my rear keel & coming on a boat & then drill the holes. Then there is the real reason I'm choosing to have Mark do it... "I cut it twice & it's still too short". If you get my meaning.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Frank, we all have our limitations and you will receive a sail mounting system that has been made as good as it could be and you will have nothing to worry about. I expect some members would like to see the installation method used, i know i would although i have no plans on buying a BSD sail system. Mick Macrobb is making me one of his larger sail outfits that i will have to mount and fit. I hope to receive Mick,s sail in time to have it on the water this summer.

DLee

Post by DLee »

Frank, I am sure Mark will do a great job - no question about that. My concern and it seemed yours as well was timing... but I hear ya. If you have the rig, maybe even if you don't; yesterday was the day to send it to Mark.

John, what the heck is that mast for? Man, that is tall. What's the length?

That russian outrigger is quite impressive as well.

That second hole might be a good place to put the business end of a water pump, or a shoot through hull transducer, or even a camera mount. Don't let a perfectly good hole go to waste!

Cool news on getting the sail from Rob. What size are you getting and will it mount similar to his smaller deck mounts or are you hooking it to that new mast of yours? Exciting news. Please start a new thread about this when you get a chance.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

I am sending the Keel & coamings tomorrow so by the time the 2 feet of ice melts on our inland lakes melt and the water achieves a non instant hypothermia temperature the rig and my parts will be back and I will be practicing the setup steps. I will take pictures of the mounting and my two sails and post them then.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Frank that sounds great, you will be able to hit the water as soon as possible. There are things i won,t make, one of them is sails although i am told it is "easy", right now Mick in Australia is making one for me and from my experience custom sails made be an expert sail maker is the way to go. My association with Mick is that i asked him about making a larger sail for Kleppers and similar boats. After quite a long time i contacted him again and he had a sail on test in a Kruger canoe which is very much like a large kayak, on completion of the test i asked him to make me one and as far as i know it may be the first. It,s not his usual sail that sits "near" the bow but a Sprit sail which is an old design that apparently is very good. I have been looking in Tod E Bradshaw,s book on how to rig it, and that looks interesting. So later on i will report in the section about it.

DLee

Post by DLee »

Excellent reading coming up with John and Frank. An exciting springs lays ahead mates!

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Return to “Sailing Gear”