BSD + Kayaksailor

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

HeavyWeather

BSD + Kayaksailor

Post by HeavyWeather »

It's alive!

Took it out for a test run today, worked awesome. Will post more...

HeavyWeather

Re: BSD + Kayaksailor

Post by HeavyWeather »

Running wing and wing in light wind.

Last edited by HeavyWeather on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

Beating the wind.

I do not know if there is any appreciable improvement in pointing ability with this rig. Not something schooner rigs are known for anyhow. This may change slightly with the addition of the Kuvia genoa.

Much fun was had today. Looking forward to getting back out there!

kenton

Post by kenton »

You only lack a Balloon Spinnaker ( or is it 'Cruising Chute' or some such?).

Well, on second thought, it looks like your crew might object :)

Obviously, I'm teasing. I had to look stuff up. I've sailed but twice - each as a passenger, and loved it - but never pressed to do anything further about it.

Besides, regarding the situation you document here, the demand on crew to attempt a Balloon Spinnaker would be off the charts.

HeavyWeather wrote:Beating the wind.

I do not know if there is any appreciable improvement in pointing ability with this rig. Not something schooner rigs are known for anyhow. This may change slightly with the addition of the Kuvia genoa.

Much fun was had today. Looking forward to getting back out there!

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

Looks nice. What was the wind speed and how fast did you sail?

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

Wind speeds were only between 6 and 8 mph. Gusts to maybe 10 or 11. Got the GII up to 3.5-4.5 mph. I know we will go faster with more typical conditions.

Pretty tame all around. Considering this was the first test run I am really ok with that. Did get some pretty good chop for a bit though. Winds are ususally W by NW, across the river. Yesterday was S against the river current with more fetch. I don't think my first mate would care for chop bigger than the 2-3 feet we had. May post some video if I can work out the video editing thing. Will need to do some serious cutting and pasting of clips to keep the viewer from getting sick. It's like the Blair Witch express with all the bouncing around.

I will say that running downwind was a bit squirrely. Might have to think about modifying the rudder.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Looks like a blast, thanks for posting the pics. And I think you are right about the rudder, the stock blade does not have the area to handle a "normal" sail let alone the "Frankensail" you have created. Until you modify you can always use a paddle leveraged against the combing, you can get a tremendous amount of steering power that way.

Greg
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

I used a paddle as a rudder last year with the Advanced Elements and the Wind Paddle sail and while it works it sure creates an incredible amount of drag. The rudder on the LHMK2 is very good due to its size. Heavyweather I hope you keep us informed on your experience this summer with your sail combo. I may look into doing the same. One question for the group: If you can get few miles an hour faster after spending $1500 or so on a BSD sail added to the KS, is it worth the money? On Fathers Day we went out in light wind and we sailed one close haul after another at 2.4 MPH and on a run we got 3.6 MPH with just the KS 1.6 + Genoa. It would be fun to see just how fast the MK2 can go and it would feel a bit safer with the outriggers. I'm sure my wife would be more willing to keep the sail more pulled in to gain more trim.

I liked the pictures of your rig. My sail KS is the same color. Now you should get the Genoa (Blue).

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

Is it worth spending a lot of money to add a couple mph? Highly debatable. Will the BSD add speed and stability? Most definitely. 7-8 mph with the BSD alone is totally doable. Here is a video clip of just the BSD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeAKyxSu9kc

The two rigs have strong merits of their own. I am really glad to be able to work with both. Mostly I picked up the Kayaksailor so I could easily swap it over to a seperate single. I did get the genoa as well. That will be a lot of lines to pull on, yikes!

I have wanted a sailboat for a long long time. This seems like the best way to do it without moorage, or a trailer, and all the fun that comes with all that. Also, a sailboat that fits in the back of a Honda Fit? Get out of here!

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

Frank,

I am not sure if a Long Haul will do this but when you get the folbot up to near the top end speed under a big sail, the hull starts to "sing". By this I mean the boat gets a very specific harmonic vibration that was initally scary, but is now more thrilling than anything alse.

Has anyone else noticed this?

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

In my Quattro I get a pleasant "thrummmmmm" at in some sea conditions and at 6-7 mph on the gps. I always thought it was the carbon frame because my wooden A2 has never done it. Must be the hull material itself.

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

kenton

Post by kenton »

Consider the components (hullSkin) are tensioned; chop, waves and swell 'beat' against it. What's described sounds like a Drum. What you're hearing is a fine drum roll or a drum played with Brushes.

HeavyWeather

Post by HeavyWeather »

G, that thrummmmm sounds exactly like what I'm talking about.

Return to “Sailing Gear”