Hobie Sidkick

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

FrankP

Hobie Sidkick

Post by FrankP »

Tomorrow my wife and I are going out on a 2 mile long lake in 14-18 MPH wind. (Perdicted) This past Wednesday we were in 15-17 MPH wind and reefed the KS but left the Genoa on. As the wind died down later we pulled the halyard and up went the rest of the sail. We had a blast! Today I bought a Hobie Sidekick and plan on mounting it on the Klepper America mount just behind the rail in front to the front paddler. I paddle most of the time when we are sailing so I don't want to put it behind me or in front of me.

I will take some pictures and report how I like the Sidekick. Next year I hope to buy a Balogh sail and turn our kayak into a scooner. Ks in front and a 36 ft batwing in the middle. We'll see!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng7K4A39 ... tion=share

HeavyWeather

Re: Hobie Sidkick

Post by HeavyWeather »

Looking forward to your report!

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

Frank, I'm in CA right now and pretty swamped w chores - but I do have some mounting suggestions for you. They may be in my hobie thread - but simply, mounting on a board from mark is simplest solution w most options.

I also discovered a nice simple alternative to sidekick while sailing in cape may last week w T9. Inflatable sponsons on exterior of boat will post name when I can - on cell phone now.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

Frank, et al,

Below is the link of the Harmony sponson system I recently found and tried on the T9 with great success. Granted, conditions where quite calm, but I think this system works quite well. I know your sidekick is on the way... but wanted to throw this out before you unpacked it just in case.

You can see my makeshift sidekick mount in these photos behind the seat. Canoe paddle works real well with Hobie. Your wife will not be happy with the outrigger mounted behind the KS and I don't think the sidekick should be mounted on the KS board. That thing already has too much load. Putting it in the middle of the boat or behind you is probably best. My .02

I paddled upwind for about an hour into some sloughs with the sponsons deflated then deployed them while out on the water, raised the KS and sailed back to the starting point.

I was in a hurry and couldn't risk a capsize so I didn't do anything too crazy with this setup, but it seemed really stable. I had the Sidekick out a day or two before in really strong wind and it did great. I even climbed forward and retied my jib guides with no problem. I would have liked to have tried the Harmony system in the same conditions... one of these days.

The nice thing about the Harmony was that it gave me at least 80% of the sidekicks stability if not more, but kept the boat nice an narrow - compared to running with the outrigger. On the other hand, the sponsons where always in contact with the water while I could often keep both of the Hobies pontoons up in the air. That said, I felt very little drag from the Harmony system and even in a very light breeze I made headway against a pretty strong flood current. How's that for apples and oranges?!

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/973 ... n-Kit.html

sponsons deflated and covered back up - easily done on the water. There is a little slack in the system after the sponson had been inflated - but having sailed home it didn't affect me at all.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

Yesterday we went out in 15+MPH wind on a 2 mile long, 1 mile wide lake. The wind was gusting at about 20 MPH. We installed the Sidekick on the Klepper America KS mount just in front of the front paddler next to the rail that goes to the bow.The Sidekick has tension bolts that tighten in the 3/8 in holes for the clamps on the center bar.

Overall I felt the Sidekicks helped avoid that tippy feeling as you heel over in strong wind. My wife, not being as adventurous as I would like to think I am, felt more at ease so money well spent. $169.95.
I setup the outriggers in the level position which placed them above the water. Due to the bend in the outrigger you can place the amas either up closer to the bow or a little further back. The back position made paddling difficult for my wife after we dropped the sail on our way back to the ramp. I didn't try the lower position at all. I think the amas would be in the water all the time and slow you down. I think the amas could be tighter on the end of the pole and the only thing that really keeps them upright is the air pressure. You can fill them by mouth with 6 breaths each. I topped them off a little with my pump to get them firmer. The bars can be put on or taken off by the front paddler with ease.

I am including a video of them in action yesterday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oxjSPqkaw4

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

D how are you coming on those leeboards? Did you have enough response and were you able to get a price?

Return to “Sailing Gear”