FLAT EARTH SAILS

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

FLAT EARTH SAILS

Post by john allsop »

I have been looking at Flat earth sails from Australia. Douglas Wilcox who has the site http://www.seakayakphoto.com gives the sails great praise and to a certain extent down grades Kayaksailor and Pacific Action, some of his comments i don,t agree with but everyone to their own opinion, and from experience with Kayaksailor and Pacific Action i have my opinion, look at his site and form your own. From his comments and videos it seems that in Scotish waters they always paddle and use the sail at the same time and that their seas can be less forgiving. No doubt the flat earth sails by Mick Macrobb are very good. One of the reviews by Douglas Wilcox is for a device called a Brace-a-Float which looks interesting. Mick has just told me that Nortik (Out Trade) have come out with a mount so that Flat earth sails can be used on a folder and there will be dealers selling his sails in the USA, if there isn,t one already. Also he has a larger sail out on test which also includes a mizzen, this sail will ,i think, be on a mast like the klepper so it probably won,t fold, never the less it might be very suitable for a Klepper Aerius 2 and as he is a good sail designer and maker i will most likly add one to my fold. (and now i am facing over six months where our water is solid) Looking at the Flat Earth web site and following the links there are or will be three dealers in the US. I have just received photos from, "Out Trade" the folding kayak dealer in Germany who sell the Nortik, Lagonda and other folders, the photos are of their mount for fitting a Flat Earth Sail onto a folder, it is a machined "foot" somehow fitted on the forward deck, i can,t at the moment see how this "foot" is held or attached to the deck. Here are the photos, as you can see the mast goes into the round "foot". There appears to be stiching around the circle under the "foot".
Attachments
FLAT EARTH SAIL MOUNT 002.jpg
FLAT EARTH SAIL MOUNT 001.jpg

DLee

Re: FLAT EARTH SAILS

Post by DLee »

Those mounts look like they're welded on to me. I guess it's a simple hinge with that red line being used to pull it up...

I see Nortik has put their name on the sail as well... that seems like a bit more commitment than just supplying a mount for Mick's sails don't it?

It's interesting how high these sails sit above the deck... and they're not really that big. I can see why they are popular among the sea kayak crowd - probably very efficient in a hard shelled, narrow and long boat.

Interesting stuff. The Nortik is without sponsons correct?

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

DLee

Post by DLee »

Look what I just discovered popping up in Ohio:

http://www.falconsails.com/

Looks like Mick may have some local competition...

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Dennis, I think the Nortik navigator has sponsons that are "linked to-gether" so when inflated the air pressure is the same on both sides. These are narrow boats, probably too narrow for me as i have always had wide boats. You are probably correct in that the fitting on the deck is welded to the skin of the boat, on hard shells Flat Earth have a fitting that is screwed on. Looking on the"out-trade" site their photo section shows that most people seem to carry a lot of gear on the deck, something i have never had to do and don,t like the idea as it can,t help in the stability. Over in Europe the Flat Earth sails seem very popular and most of their boats seem to be the slender sea kayak. Falcon sails look interesting in the fact that people can sort of design their own color. These new style of sail look very easy to deploy and seem to virtually just sit up there with very little input from the paddler. Pacific Action and Kayaksailor on the other hand can be controlled by the paddler a lot more. Kayaksailor have such a following i don,t think they need to worry about the competition, they are a well proven design with few problems. It seems like Mick of Flat Earth allows the selling dealer of his sails to have their name put on the sails they sell, as i have seen that Kari-tek in Scotland who sell the sail also have their name on them.

Return to “Sailing Gear”