303 or Sailkote

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

FrankP

303 or Sailkote

Post by FrankP »

For BSD sails which is better 303 or Sailkote? For masts I have heard some say wax some say Sailkote? What say you?

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: 303 or Sailkote

Post by gbellware »

Frank,

I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Sailkote is a lubricant I use on sails and moving parts of the rigging. 303 is a UV protectant I use on my kayak surfaces. Don't know if BSD recommends UV protection for sails, but the sailkote works wonders on my Kuvia. I would say Sailkote is much, much better than wax. It does the same thing but it dries to a hard coat that does not attract dirt. Just my $.02

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

So sailkot the mast & rigging & 303 the sail? I used Sailkot on my Kayaksailor last year for the mast , rigging and the sail battens. I used 303 on my deck.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

That sounds about right, I think you can go either way on the sails. I use sailkote there too, as I am not worried about UV on the sails and the product is hydrophobic which sheds water and any particulate matter the water carries, like salt and dirt.

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Return to “Sailing Gear”