Post by FrankP »

Nice fleet of boats Dennis.
The mystery sail?

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Sail pics

Post by DLee »

Hi Frank, thanks. I love my boats.

I found that sail on the beach after Sandy. I think it goes to a Sunfish or that type of boat. Perhaps someone else here might be able to help us there.

Although it did fit on the AII the two booms are pretty heavy making the whole rig a little unwieldy. Not only that but the area of the sail is so great that it rides directly over the cockpit. Which is fine in most cases until I realized that when the boom swings to one side or the other it would require a pretty serious counter lean of the boat to keep it out of the water.

Hence my dream of a high volume low placement sail went right out the window. It's amazing the things that are so plainly obvious in practice that thoroughly slip the imagination when you're just sitting and thinking...

If I did the calculation correct this sail is about 79 sq. feet compared to the 55 of the Klepper S2 rig. Interestingly, if I added the S1 main sail as a mizzen to the existing S2 rig it would give me a maximum area close to 82 sq. feet and look kinda like this:

I like that. Talk about a tangle of lines though...

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Post by jcwlx »

d.
Do you sail all of these rigs without any outrigger of any sort?
Chris
1965 Klepper Aerius 2 with 2005 Long Haul hull
1965 Klepper S4 sail rig, with 14 sq ft jib; Sail Rite 32 sq ft genoa; and 41 sq ft main
BSD/BOSS-Wilkes modified outriggers
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

That's the first time I ever raised the yellow/white sail on the boat and it's not a good fit, so a definite no on that one. But with lighter booms I might consider it on a nice warm day... ha.

I haven't decided how to rig the mizzen with the S2 rig yet, so no on that as well but I will certainly try it when I do. Hopefully that's not too far away. I've never had outriggers on the S2 rig yet, but I have been considering fitting either the Hobie Sidekicks or the Harmony sponsons so that they are available for longer open water journeys.

The S2 is a blast to sail in the proper conditions without the outriggers. I just haven't had enough experience in bad weather with it to say much more than that. I'm trying to get to the point where I can comfortably rig and strike this sail while in the boat, but it's very difficult. Dropping sail is no problem, but making the cockpit clear for a long paddle is a challenge. Especially I imagine if striking the sail is forced by the weather.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Return to “Sailing Gear”