First sail with BSD 24 & 36 HP Sport

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

robonaboat
forum fanatic

Re: First sail with BSD 24 & 36 HP Sport

Post by robonaboat »

Hi Frank. You and Dennis really pay attention. I don't unhook the steering pedals. I take my feet off and pull the pedals right back by pulling on the cables so the pedals flop back on the keel board fairly flat. The cables go loose then. No need to unhook them. Then I can slide down forward with my legs through the holes of rib 4, my bum on the floor between the centre mast and my seat. (put a pad there for more comfort. Centre mast emerges from my groin.) My back is lying on the seat and my head is inclined on the angled seat back, like it's propped up on two pillows. I'm 5' 9", 140lb. You can use a dry bag with some clothes in it to further pad things just right. From that position my eyes can just see over the coaming and I'm comfortable enough to be in danger of dozing off. I've done this a few times but only tried in calm seas and light winds. I set the sails and leeboard and rudder for self steering if it's pointing in a direction that that will work, (Then it's so peaceful, like in a gently rocking cradle. ) But I can work the rudder cables with my hands if it won't hold a course, and I can change course without siting up, because I can still reach the sheets as well. When the sea gets up a bit spray can hit you in the face. If you set up the chimney of the spray cover above you, open at the top, it's dry and cosy but you can't just open an eye to see what's about, though it's easy to pull it down just for a momentary look before lifting it back up. I know this could be dangerous depending on the situation, which is why I'll add a disclaimer. Don't try this at home. I haven't tried it with anyone in the front seat. I don't know if my legs will clear either side of their bum, and/or be comfortable? Frank could try this in his LH MkII stretch, and give me feedback. But when I've slept aboard at anchor it's been around the other way, with my feet right up inside the stern, and appropriate padding underneath me. I'd just like some cover in that position from rain and, yes, mossies. And Franks suggestions have got me thinking in all kinds of new directions for that. Thank you and keep it coming. By PVC spraycover support do you mean PVC pipe? And how is it curved? Is it curved under tension pushing against the top inside of the coaming which bends it up? I can imagine that would work with a notch cut in each end of the pipe to keep it in position on the coaming. Can you remember if it was anything like that? Roberto
2013 Longhaul Mark II Quattro with BSD schooner rig and outriggers. Packraft
Incept K40S

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

Roberto I couldn't tell exactly but the PVC was small pipe so it could be bent easy. The notch idea was what I was thinking. As far as getting my wife to call our Long Haul a possible Holiday Inn substitute, I can unequivocally say there is a greater chance to drain the ocean than have her do that. Plus I have floatation bags in the bow & stern. her feet couldn't stretch out. As far as that goes, I'd rather opt for the king sized bed too.

robonaboat
forum fanatic

Post by robonaboat »

That's very sensible Frank. Roberto.
2013 Longhaul Mark II Quattro with BSD schooner rig and outriggers. Packraft
Incept K40S

Return to “Sailing Gear”