Lines, lines & more lines.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

FrankP

Lines, lines & more lines.

Post by FrankP »

Other than cleating some of the long lines like halyard or main sheet lines, what do you do to keep all the extra line out of the way and worse prevent an entanglement issue in the event of a capsize?

My halyard is at least twice as long as I need. Would it be a good idea to cut it so I have 5-6 ft left when the sail is up to the top of the mast?

I understand the front sheet line may be good to be a bit long so if I was sailing solo I could operate that sail from the back seat. I worry a little with all that extra line causing problems in a wet exit.

robonaboat
forum fanatic

Re: Lines, lines & more lines.

Post by robonaboat »

I'm going through that too Frank. It's an old sailors saying, never cut a rope, but I already cut some off mine , though not as much as I possibly could yet. Just in case. Stowing rope, I'm still thinking. Possibilities: dedicated hooks on mast, or bags hanging on mast or off thwart tube, or attached to somewhere. Sailors use them. I haven't got around to it yet. I have installed cam cleats for both sheets on my thwart tube now and may go out to test them thursday/friday. Roberto
2013 Longhaul Mark II Quattro with BSD schooner rig and outriggers. Packraft
Incept K40S

Return to “Sailing Gear”