some interesting sailing canoe features

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

some interesting sailing canoe features

Post by DLee »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zexkXRiD9zk

I've been looking for a simple ratchet block with cleat like this for the main sheet - anybody seen one?

Interesting furling system on the main... wish he had gone into a bit more detail on how that was accomplished.

I like the mesh bag for the jib. I might steal that idea. My continuous loop for the jib is a little different than his. Maybe the jib furler is still the best idea.

Here's the link to Solway Dory if you like that lee board. I do.

http://www.solwaydory.co.uk/products/accessories/

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

ChrisO

Re: some interesting sailing canoe features

Post by ChrisO »

Dennis,

That is a Holt ratchet block, like this one:
http://www.coastwatersports.com/holt-57 ... -1501.html
Harken and Ronstan have similar ones. Layline has a good selection: http://www.layline.com/us/category/2-Ra ... locks.html
I used to deal with Layline a bit when I upgraded the running rigging on my Bear, good outfit for small boat sailing hardware!
The upgrade? I went to a continuous main sheet ending in a double swivel block with double cam cleat, all mounted on a swivel base. Why? To give me two speed main sheeting. Fast, with both sheets at the same time. Slow, single sheet for windy conditions or fine tuning. At the time Layline had the required (custom) hardware, very slick! But I digress...

Chris

DLee

Post by DLee »

Thanks Chris, I'm exploring Layline...

What exactly does the 40mm mean in terms of size? Is this the smallest size?

Thanks,

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Dennis,

40mm is the sheave size (about 1 9/16"). The sheave size to use depends on the line diameter: 40mm is usually good for 1/4" line and 55/57mm for 3/8" line. Their widths are sized for the lines, which means if you try to feed a 3/8" line through a 40mm block it can rub/bind on the block cheeks.
There are smaller blocks, for example Harken Micro blocks in 22mm size for 1/4" line. The advantage of a larger sheave diameter is that lines run better over them, with less binding. Very noticeable if the line makes a 180 around the sheave!

Chris

DLee

Post by DLee »

Thanks Chris!

Are you sailing your folders at all?

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Dennis,

You are welcome!
Sailing my folders? No, still having too much fun paddling around on an even keel :mrgreen: .
Seriously though, I am into exploring the quieter waters. Especially small or thin water area's where I was never able to go in my sail boat. Then for the 'Bay itself my mind set is still shaped by a stiff keel boat to handle the blustery summer breezes. The worst that ever happened was not being able to jibe, but having to wear it around (from a run to upwind, tack and fall off again. Sort of a 270 degree turn) or having the boom drag in the water. I think I will enjoy sailing a kayak more on lakes with somewhat even breezes. It is on the horizon, but not a top priority now.
BTW, my only kayak half way set up for sailing is the Klepper AE II. The others would need a Kayaksailor or similar. Well, limit that to the Pionier, the others would be a torturous set up.

I have simply spent too much time over the years at Svendsen's, West Marine and our local boat yards and picked up a few pointers from others :wink: .

Chris

DLee

Post by DLee »

I will gladly testify that even breeze sailing of the kayak on a big lake is pretty fantastic. Haven't managed it enough myself yet but on the few occasions that I do it sure is fun. Pretty envious of the conditions Frank has up around all those big lakes.

BTW, I'm going to be out in Fairfield this August to empty out my mom and dad's house. Would be fun to get together if we can each find the time. Not sure if I will bring a boat (I'll probably be driving) but if I do it will probably be the T9 because it's the smallest package I have. Could be really fun to hit some calm parts of the Sacramento or American rivers up around Sac. Haven't paddled a river yet. And believe me, I don't need anything exciting with the T9... the boat itself is enough.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Dennis,

Yes, I know you guys are having fun with your sailing rigs!
If you are around here in September, you might want to check out the International Canoe Worlds at the Richmond Yacht Club (September 6-15). Now that is crazy sailing! Check out those hiking planks...
BTW, RYC is the local club for small boat, i.e. dinghy sailing. A big reason is that they can sail in the lee of Angel Island. Gives a much more controlled wind environment than "The Slot" in front of San Francisco or the crazy "Berkeley flats". But, they always have a crash boat.

Yes, drop me a line when you are out here! Rivers, with flowing water..., might be iffy this year (our drought). Fresh still water possibilities: Big Break Regional Shore Line in the Delta is great once the winds die down, Mokelumne in Lodi, and certainly the lower stretch of the American and Sacramento etc.
Then there is always salt water...

Chris

Return to “Sailing Gear”