Sails don't work well with very light air

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

FrankP

Sails don't work well with very light air

Post by FrankP »

Contrary to popular belief a schooner rigged Long Haul will not go very fast if there is little wind. I did get to paddle a lot today and I broke down my Werner paddle and used it like a canoe paddle. Works better on the side the paddle blade is supposed to be on though. I'm thinking about a good wooden canoe paddle. I have not decided on either a straight or bent shaft yet. I know this question is best in the paddle section but those of you that sail kayaks may know what works best for you.

robonaboat
forum fanatic

Re: Sails don't work well with very light air

Post by robonaboat »

I am in the same sailboat as you Frank and I've been using exactly the same werner paddle solution with a PVC conduit T junction stuck on the end for a handle. And yes it scrapes the hull on the one side sometimes, so I am also thinking just get a proper canoe paddle. But which one? Also thought I could grind off the offending blade shoulder of the paddle I have. If I do that to both blades I will have two light weight canoe paddles that don't scrape the deck, and still have a slightly altered werner kayak paddle. Roberto
2013 Longhaul Mark II Quattro with BSD schooner rig and outriggers. Packraft
Incept K40S

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

I use a canoe paddle. I can measure it if you're interested in length. Works great. Pretty sure John Allsop uses one as well. Really handy to have along almost all of the time.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

When Cheri & I were up on Lake Superior last summer we saw a guy bring in a Nautraid and he used a canoe paddle. He didn't have a sail or akas to get in the way. I guess he preferred it that way. I did notice he was rather slow on the water though but that may have been his style.

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

From John Allsop:

Dennis. I see Frank is thinking about canoe paddles, the best thing to stop hitting those sails and they keep you dryer. Here are my two, the bottom one is by Bending Branches although being so wide it is like a “shovel” and I would recommend one with a narrower blade, it is 58 ¼ inch long. The top one is by Grey Owl Paddles and is their “Eagle Feather” this one is 60 inches long and so far not used, it may even be a wall decoration. I have mostly used the canoe paddle on the Triak, although by using half of his regular paddle Frank should be able to quite simply see how long the paddle needs to be. A single blade Greenland paddle should be ok.

John

via d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

John that Eagle Feather is nice. I was not aware you can get a Greenland single blade paddle. I will check it out. If you know of of any links let us know.

Return to “Sailing Gear”