John's Flat Earth Sail

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

John's Flat Earth Sail

Post by DLee »

John Allsop sent me some pics of his new Flat Earth Main sail over the past couple weeks. He also received a mizzen and he'll begin work with it as soon as he is happy with the main's rigging. John spent some time making these wishbone sprits and rigged the sail in his yard. He wasn't too happy with the rigging and never could get a good shape out of the sail in the yard. So he is trying a different set up with a short boom up top to hold the outer corner up. What's this arrangement called? This is a temporary arrangement to see how it looks. John is planning on creating an up-haul for the whole assembly.

He's pretty busy getting ready to move but I can tell he'd love to hit the water a bit with this new sail. John's following the forum, he just can't post. Hopefully a new computer will be arriving at the end of July. I'm sure he'd love to hear input from you guys.

Here are some pics of the sail:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: John's Flat Earth Sail

Post by gbellware »

Beautiful looking rig, it really has character. Will it point upwind? Sure is nice to see the continued evolution of this mode of transportation/fun.

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Return to “Sailing Gear”