BOSS amas on Klepper/Long Haul with S4

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

jcwlx
forum fanatic

BOSS amas on Klepper/Long Haul with S4

Post by jcwlx »

Finally recevied my BSD/BOSS amas, and made centre cross beam, akas (from 1.5" and 1.25" aluminum tube), and saddles. Mounted with S4 sail rig and sailed Wisconsin's Door County last weekend, Lake Michigan and Green Bay. Worked wonderfully! Last night, took my jib self-furler from my Wegu 19' sailboat, and mounted it on the Klepper...works swell. Now to mount hooks or blocks on ends of akas for downwind sailing wing-to-wing optimization. Next step, have my wife make a 20 to 25 square foot genoa for light wind sailing, instead of the storm jib. This should give me 65 to 70 square feet of sail. BTW can still use Spring Creek outriggers and the BOSS amas together on the rig if needed to maximize stability in heavy weather. Might also purchase another set of BOSS amas so can run two sets, which would give about 40 mph maximum wind/gust capability (with 55 square feet of sail) before burying the amas. It is finally becoming a worthy sailing craft! No more knock downs like with the old Spring Creek amas alone.
1965 Klepper Aerius 2 with 2005 Long Haul hull
1965 Klepper S4 sail rig, with 14 sq ft jib; Sail Rite 32 sq ft genoa; and 41 sq ft main
BSD/BOSS-Wilkes modified outriggers
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

FrankP

Re: BOSS amas on Klepper/Long Haul with S4

Post by FrankP »

Chris the pictures I saw pf your rig look very nice. Did you take any speed readings in the light winds you had up there?

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Post by jcwlx »

Frank,
No.....got no speeds on the Door County outing. Winds were only 5 to 7 mph, so speed was not great, and frankly I have not checked the best i-Phone app for measuring. What do you use? I should make sure I load it, if I don't already have it.

I went to Aquaris Sail yesterday in Pewuakee to buy some better 3mm line for my jib self-furler, and also a luff line to make a genoa. I had not been there for about 10 years, and did not realize it is as big as it is inside. They have quite a selection of boats...mostly Hobies, but there also carry Windriders (like the one Michaeal Kuharski has that he used the amas for making his canoe trimaran), Zim 420's, Sunfish, Max, Lasers, and Weta trimarans (from New Zealand....really nice boats). It's a good source of sail info, ideas, and parts for us. I spent about 2 hours nosing around.

Woke up in the middle of the night last night with a new idea for adding downwind sailing hooks to my akas, just above the amas, and installed them very early this morning. Making the akas myself, with extruded aluminum sections from a Spring Creek UR (universal receiver) allowed me to make a very quick and simple "hook". I don't think you need these with your BSD batwings for flying wing-to-wing, but they might help you a little. They will help me with the jib arrangement on my conventionally-rigged boat.

Today, I hope to make a couple of new J-bolts to better mount my BOSS/Wilkes hybrid outrigger to the coaming. I bought a square foot of 0.060" thick 304 stainless steel sheet, and a 3 foot 5/16" 304 rod yesterday from Speedy Metals in New Berlin. I'm going to go with a mechanical design for now, but will make an extra set for a fabricated/welded design, to take to China with me. I can TIG weld them at work over there. Can then decide which of these 2 options works best, and if you want to make another outrigger, I'll help you with the preferred design. I just hope that I can bend the 0.060" thick stainless sheet after cutting the bracket plates out with a hacksaw. I don't have a small press brake (like my son, Phil, has in SLC for making his belay-specs), so am going to have to just use clamps, a vise, steel plate, and a hammer for cold bending/forging them. Might not look too pretty! But should be functional.

I'm home until August 29. Do you want to go to Lake Geneva one of these days, and we can sail and have a picnic lunch? Any day from now until then is ok with me as long as the weather is decent. It would be fun to compare performance of the two rigs.....speed; pointing capability; etc. in side-by-side runs. Despite a couple of important improvements I have made, I expect your BSD rig is still much better due to the airfoil design and newer sails (unstretched sails...versus mine which appear to be nylon instead of dacron, and are from the 1960's I believe). I can make a new 20 to 25 square foot genoa out of #4 dacron for about $40, but after talking to the lady at Aquarius, I think this weight of dacron is too heavy compared to what my current jib is, and am going to look for lighter spinnaker sail cloth on Sail Rite.com sometime soon. Anyway, if we could get a chance to sail beside one another on Lake Geneva, or some other good size lake, it might help me decide what I really want to do....make some additional sails for the current rig, and/or buy a BSD 36 sport mainsail to run with a storm jib or genoa up front. You might pick up some ideas too for improving your rig. It would be fun for both of us, I think. You can look at my home made outrigger too, now that it's close to it's final configuration. Let me know, or call me at my cell...you have the number from the Small Boat Rendezvous trip.

Cheers,
Chris
Last edited by jcwlx on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1965 Klepper S4 sail rig, with 14 sq ft jib; Sail Rite 32 sq ft genoa; and 41 sq ft main
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

jcwlx
forum fanatic

BOSS amas on Klepper/Long Haul with S4 Sail Rig

Post by jcwlx »

I'll try to attach a couple of photos....hope it works.
Attachments
At Bower's Bluffs on the east shore of Washington Island, Green Bay, Washington Island, Wisconsin, August 9, 2014
At Bower's Bluffs on the east shore of Washington Island, Green Bay, Washington Island, Wisconsin, August 9, 2014
Last edited by jcwlx on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Post by jcwlx »

For anyone interested, the rigging for the control boards and mounts for BOSS amas and Spring Creek amas are in photo attached.
Attachments
Ama outirgger mounts for BOSS and Spring Creek, with control boards.
Ama outirgger mounts for BOSS and Spring Creek, with control boards.
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Post by jcwlx »

This photo shows the entire rig with BOSS and Spring Creek amas mounted. The BOSS amas alone (with 6' akas) provide a wind/gust speed capability up to just over 30 mph with a Klepper S4 55 sq ft sail rig, before fully submerging the BOSS ama. This is probably more than adequate for most people's purposes, but if sailing in big, cold water with gusty condtions, adding the Spring Creek amas (with 5' akas) will add a small safety margin, up to about 33.5 mph. If I were to put another set of BOSS amas (the second with 5' akas) on the Spring Creek mounting, which is a simple matter, wind/gust speeds up to 40 mph are possible before full ama submersion. This would be good for sailing relatively safely on Lakes Michigan, Superior, and Ontario. You would probably shred the sails before the boat would get knocked down (capsize)!
Attachments
Klepper/Long Haul hybrid with BOSS and Spring Creek amas set up.
Klepper/Long Haul hybrid with BOSS and Spring Creek amas set up.
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

I would love to get out sometime. I think Sunday the wind will be about 11 MPH but you know how often they are wrong about the wind. I would go during the week but business keeps me close. We did get out yesterday on Nagawicka and took my niece out for a sail in 8-10 MPH wind. She had fun. I was wishing for more steady wind but she thought we were in an America's Cup race so she was happy. Kidding of course but it was still fun. A slow day sailing is better than watching the best TV show on the couch.

Can you talk your wife into it too? I can get my wife to go out sailing most anytime. She is a true first mate in both senses of the phrase.

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Post by jcwlx »

Frank,
Yes, Sunday sounds good for us, and Suzanne is all for it. The weather looks good, partly cloud, but no storms, like are presently forecast for Saturday. Are we agreed on Lake Geneva? The last time I put in there, I did it at the eastern end near town, but I'll look to see if there are other alternative launch sites (where it might not be as busy, especially on a summer Sunday) on my Wisconsin Gazeteer. Let's plan on getting there by 10:00 latest. Winds are often pretty dead until mid morning or noon from my expereince. Does that sound ok to you?
Chris
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

I will check with Chris. Our niece is here from Colorado for the next couple weeks. I will let you know today. There is a very nice unjust launch site on Le Belle too. It's on Park St if you want to check it out. You have to lift the kayaks over a curb & there is a swimming area there but not many people use it. It's 4 blocks West of City Beach. I unload the yak & Park the Car & trailer on the street. it's much closer than Lake G & less busy. LE Belle is about 2.25 miles long & over a mile wide on the west end. I will let you know if we have plans with the family I'm not aware of.

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Post by jcwlx »

Frank,
Lac La Belle is ok with me too, if you prefer. I have never been there before, so it would be a good new experience, and I see you go there often with your boat....so it must be good for winds. Let me know. I'm easy. Can do Lake Geneva next week.

Thanks,
Chris
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

I will check with my weather sites like Weather Underground or Intellicast oe Wind Alert to see where the wind is best. I will send you a PM on FB so we can coordinate a time Sunday.

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

Well we had a good time Sunday. It was nice to sail with other people even though it was just one more kayak. We stayed on the water for about 6 hours. Chris thanks and tell Suzanne thanks for coming along. The video I took of you is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVev7lC1p9w

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Post by jcwlx »

Thanks Frank. Here's a shot of the two boats together on Lac La Belle. Sweet! 8)
Attachments
IMG_8358 - Copy.JPG
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Post by jcwlx »

And another comparing sail sizes a little better. 8) I bought some aluminum extrusions at Speedy Metals last Wednesday to make a 12" longer mast for the S4 rig. This will give my crew (Suzanne) full head clearance and allow us (Suzanne!) to make me a bigger Genoa, about 25 sq ft I expect. Need to design this and order the sail cloth soon. If it works out well, perhaps I'll make a larger main also...but do not expect this to happen. I just want to be able to keep up with you on the lake! It's fun playing around with boats!
Attachments
IMG_8361.JPG
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

Chris you are right about playing around with boats. I like playing around IN boats IN the water best. Sail making may be in your future as a retirement income. Hey be safe and we enjoyed the day with you and Suzanne on the lake. The following Sunday was much better wind. Steady until the late afternoon. I put together a few clips of the day on the same lake but one week later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgIEyX9FPK4

Return to “Sailing Gear”