Klepper S4 Sail Rig Development and Hopefully Helpful Infor

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Klepper S4 Sail Rig Development and Hopefully Helpful Infor

Post by jcwlx »

Some of you new kayak sailors might get some helpful information from the attached Facebook album I put together over the last 7 or 8 years as I played with Spring Creek and BSD/BOSS outriggers and sail improvments: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 916c13c1c4. Just copy and paste to your internet browser. There is also a roof top car rack in there that works well for me for self loading and unloading with the help of a cup of water ("liquid rollers") and a small 2 wheel canoe dolly. Feel free to copy any ideas and ask questions.

Along the way, after getting knocked down (capsized) with the standard Spring Creek amas (3' aka length and less than 0.5 cubic feet of displacement), I also developed a force-moment formula that balances heeling moment with the righting moments from 3 sources (Klepper/Long Haul sponsons, amas from various manufaturers , and crew hiking weight and distance from centreline of boat) to calculate the wind speed at which the amas become fully submersed, which is very close to the point at which one would capsize. I was looking for a rig which will give me good stability to a wind/gust speed of 30 mph for sailing on big water (Lakes Michigan, Superior, Ontario; Atlantic and Pacific) with relative safety. What I have now should meet this requirement, but I can achieve 40 mph with the S4 rig of 55 square feet if I were to add a second set of BSD amas. May do this later, but will probably firstly make a 20 to 25 square foot genoa sail for the Klepper to get sail area up to 65 to 70 square feet to improve light wind sailing speed. Experimentation is fun!

I hope this is information might be helpful to some of you.

Cheers,
Chris
1965 Klepper Aerius 2 with 2005 Long Haul hull
1965 Klepper S4 sail rig, with 14 sq ft jib; Sail Rite 32 sq ft genoa; and 41 sq ft main
BSD/BOSS-Wilkes modified outriggers
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Klepper S4 Sail Rig Development and Hopefully Helpful In

Post by john allsop »

Chris, Very good indeed, there,s a lot for all of us in your photos. I am particularly interested in the self furler for the jib. I have the Klepper one which works by pulling a "string" but i don,t have one for my other klepper. So i would like to know how the self furler works. Your lee board location, i have always thought it should be close to the mast.

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Post by jcwlx »

Nice to hear from you John! That's 2X today....by e-mail about the Isles of Scilly and now here. Glad you liked the FB album. Actually, your photo of your self furler reminded me that I had one on my Wegu 19....so I took it off and mounted it on the Klepper. It works well. I'm wondering why you are asking about it, when it looks very similar to yours. Doesn't your work properly? It seems to me the trick to using these properly is making sure they are wound correctly and that you have a good 3 mm very flexible line. When I pull on the jib sheets to pull out the jib, I have to use a little resistance on the furler line so that it coils up on the furler drum somewhat tightly so it does not go on too loosely and fowl. It takes a little playing with it to get a feel for it, but it seems to work fine so far. I had the same problem when it was on the Wegu, but it was worse since the jib was a lot bigger than on the Klepper.

Frank and Cheri Porter, and Suzanne and I went out sailing together yesterday on Lac La Belle about 20 miles from our town of Waukesha. Here is a link to my Facedbook album that you might enjoy (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... de6cc710a4), and a comparison of the two rigs with BSD/BOSS and Klepper/BOSS sail systems. The BSD rig on Frank's boat is beautiful with those new sails, and he definitely goes faster. Not really sure what the sail areas are of the two rigs, but I think the BSD is 5 to 10 square foot bigger, and his sails sit higher, which is also a little of an advantage. I decided yesterday to add a 12" section to my mast (will go to Speedy Metals this week to buy an aluminum section to add into the middle of my mast). This will give my wife head clearance, and allow the genoa that my wife is going to make for me, to be even bigger than I had originally planned. I should be able to go to 25 square feet, making the total area about 70 square feet.
1965 Klepper S4 sail rig, with 14 sq ft jib; Sail Rite 32 sq ft genoa; and 41 sq ft main
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Post by jcwlx »

John,
Regarding your comment about the location of the leeboard(s), I have heard the same thing as you about having them as far forward close to the mast. Frankly, to some extent, I have placed everything on my rig for ease of operation with me, the captain, controlling everything I can, so my crew (wife) doesn't have to do much, if anything. The only thing she now has to do, if needed, is release the jib and main halyards to drop the sails if bad weather comes in. On the BSD-rigged boats, just about all doubles today have the leeboards by the rear mast on the BOSS crossbar mount for the akas. Perhaps, on my rig, placing the leeboards by the mast, would allow easier "coming about", but back winding the jib usually allows me to come about without needing to use a paddle, if the wind is strong enough. I don't mind using a paddle occasionally anyway, and always have one (with a paddle leash attached), close at hand. BTW, the "hooks" that I added to to the bracket on top of the amas works great for downwind sailing, flying wing-on-wing. I need to use a boat hook to get the jib sheet out there, and keep one on the deck using the tie downs. Tried them for the first time yesterday, and they work well.
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Chris, your jib fuler said "self furlng" although a line does go to it. So it works just like the Klepper one, which appears to be made in the uk. Someone who bought the Klepper one and said it was poor because he was having problems. I told him to set his Klepper on the grass at home if he has the space with no intention of sailing, then try it and see what you can do wrong then correct it ,practice untill all is well. Then go on the water. I found the biggest problem could be over winding the sail, i found the amount you have wound on to be just about right.

Return to “Sailing Gear”