What material are Klepper S2 and S4 Sails made from?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

jcwlx
forum fanatic

What material are Klepper S2 and S4 Sails made from?

Post by jcwlx »

Can anyone tell me what sail cloth Klepper Aerius 2 sails are made from? Is it nylon, dacron or other material? What weight per square foot? I see dacron is basically made down to 4 oz/square foot, but that seems much heavier than my 50 year old Klepper sails, which seems to be light nylon and quite stretchy? I want to purchase or make a 20 to 25 square foot genoa and am wondering what ssails are available for Kleppers and what the material is. Thanks for nay help anyone can offer!
Chris
1965 Klepper Aerius 2 with 2005 Long Haul hull
1965 Klepper S4 sail rig, with 14 sq ft jib; Sail Rite 32 sq ft genoa; and 41 sq ft main
BSD/BOSS-Wilkes modified outriggers
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

ChrisO

Re: What material are Klepper S2 and S4 Sails made from?

Post by ChrisO »

Chris

I believe the newer ones are Dacron. My really old ones are a nice cream colored cotton!
Regarding sail cloth choices and weights: Nylon while strong is stretchy, perfect for light weight spinnakers. Dacron has much less stretch, perfect for upwind sails where shape retention is paramount. But you do need sufficient heft in the material so your sails don't blow out. Heavier Dacron will last longer, especially in more blustery air.
I would go to a sail loft that specializes in small boat sails for advice on the best cloth weights and what would be a good head sail for your set-up. For DIY Sailrite makes all kinds of kits. But the key to a successful head sail is a good air foil shape and the ability to retain this when the breeze picks up.

Chris

jcwlx
forum fanatic

Re: What material are Klepper S2 and S4 Sails made from?

Post by jcwlx »

Chris
Thank you. I was on Sail Rite about a week ago, and did find a 1.5 oz dacron that I believe will serve me ok. The 4 oz stuff just seems so much heavier than the Klepper S4 sails that I have right now. I also know of a sailmaker in Madison, Wisconsin, whom I may visit in October when we get back from China to get advice, and perhaps order, versus make myself. I'll let you know what I settle on. Thanks again very much.

Chris
1965 Klepper Aerius 2 with 2005 Long Haul hull
1965 Klepper S4 sail rig, with 14 sq ft jib; Sail Rite 32 sq ft genoa; and 41 sq ft main
BSD/BOSS-Wilkes modified outriggers
Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

Return to “Sailing Gear”