Cooling off...

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Cooling off...

Post by DLee »

Well, the temps are beginning to drop here in NY. I didn't get to do nearly as much sailing as I would have liked this summer and I don't see a lot of time available in the upcoming weeks. It's also to early for the dry suit to come out. What does that mean? Time to pull out the KS is what it means to me, ha.

As the air temp drops I think I gotta put the S4 sail and thoughts of capsizing away for a bit. I'm thinking about the KS which is buried deep in the shed at the moment and I'm wondering about moving it further back into the AEII cockpit. - The T9 is in the shop and I've traded the UTE in for credit over at LH, so the AEII is my only available hull - So here's what I'm wondering... How difficult would it be to remove the round plug from the KS Klepper mount and move it forward so that the sail can be positioned further back into the cockpit? I'll be out solo so space is not an issue.

If I move the mounting plug forward so that I can still use the Klepper mast hole the J bolts won't reach out to the gunnel/coaming... I don't feel like or have the time to create a new mounting board like John made, so what is the best way to mount the rear of the KS onto the wider coaming? I have a couple deck boards that I can use... I also have the Hobie outrigger cross bar... any ideas?

I'm really looking for a simple solution that doesn't require drilling holes in existing boards and varnishing... know what I mean? I also want to incorporate the Klepper Lee board rig - which only fits a little beyond the third? rib (or first in the cockpit). I don't have the boat set up right now either... a veritable mind game it is...

Been to quiet over here in the sailing column... gotta talk about something and I know there's still a few Kayaksailers out there that haven't gone Balogh yet. Ha.

Anyone sailing?

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

chrstjrn

Re: Cooling off...

Post by chrstjrn »

Please define "KS".
Chris T.
Klymit Packraft
In storage in the US:
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind
'64 Klepper T12
Early '90s Old Town Canoe
Previous:
'04 Pakboat Puffin II
'05 Swift (prototype)
'84 Hobie 16.

DLee

Post by DLee »

KS = Kuvia Kayaksailor

http://www.kayaksailor.com

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

D,

I don't think you will have much trouble moving the plug forward by at least a foot or so. I think Gerald @ KlepperAmerica designed the mount to be used on the A2 with "2 up" (2 paddlers). If you mount the sail farther aft you will be limited to solo sailing, I think.

Best,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

DLee

Post by DLee »

Sailing solo is pretty much the status quo for now so the solo position isn't an issue.

I guess the idea is more to move the rig back incorporating the Klepper Lee Board set better and putting the sail in a better position for the boat overall.

Not sure it will make a difference for sail position, but getting the sail over the Klepper lee boards should be advantageous.

You had good luck sailing upwind on your Florida expeditions didn't you?

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

I think you are on to something. Yes, I was OK with upwind sailing, especially in moderate (10-15 knot) wind, but I think, intuitively, that moving the center of effort of the sail and the pivot of the leeboards farther aft would help. You are the pioneer, if it works for you I will follow suit, as I also always sail solo also. My wife HATES when the kayak heels too much, oh well.

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Return to “Sailing Gear”