Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:26 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi Guys,

A couple of new sailing videos with the Klepper Aerius II and the partially homemade sailing rig.

https://youtu.be/GOBDPTnbC4g
http://youtu.be/eZ1wjMDgDd0

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:15 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Christopher, those are great! What a gorgeous day.

So what do you think about the Hobie amas? You seem to be relying on them fairly heavily there... I have never been able to verify this, but it's said that a level hull while sailing is faster than one healed over... in the Kleppers. I'm not sure about this. Mainly because whenever I'm able to get the hull on an even keel I'm moving more slowly... to me it actually feels faster when the boat is heeled over a bit.

Again, great sailing, really glad to see that. Now I really need to go and put my AII together...

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:08 pm 
forum fanatic

DLee - I do rely on the Hobie AMAs and ride them almost immediately when the wind hits the sails. Without hauling out of the boat (sitting up on a board like you have), I don't think I have a way of avoiding it. I've seen a video of someone with some kind of board/pole that they can flip from side to side (maybe the poles for the outriggers themselves?) and sail from a standing position. Don't see myself doing that anytime soon. I'm pretty happy with the speed I'm getting right now but would be open to suggestions of how to keep her flat on the water.

Added note: Can anyone else claim to have had their wife AND dog out sailing with them? They actually had a great time.

Last edited by indylux on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:10 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Well, I'd love to see the video of the guy sailing and standing if you know where that is...

The next step, if interested, is to run the boat from a kneeling position so that you can lean without sitting on the gunnel. That's what I do. Sitting on the gunnel, or washboard really, is downright painful. Which is why I'm so interested in trying out one of Mark's sailing seats.

The other issue with sitting on the gunnel is that you are really up high and need a heck of a lot of wind to support staying on that position. But kneeling in the boat is totally doable and fun.

You would need to set up a tiller arrangement and I think running a rod from the rudder assembly might be the way to go. That's what I'm thinking of doing with my rig and that's what all the canoe sailors do. Get an old foam backpacking pad and push it down into the bottom of the boat so you're not kneeling on the wood. You can move all over the place, make adjustments, get comfortable, have fun. I recommend giving it a try. A Type IV Life Preserver (they're doing away with the PFD term and going back to Life Preserver...) is a cushion that is handy to kneel on and good to have in the boat.

You will be amazed how much more control you have over the boat when you get up off of your behind... ha.

BTW - love the black socks... that is one sweet look.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:10 am 
forum fanatic

DLee wrote:
Well, I'd love to see the video of the guy sailing and standing if you know where that is...
d

Just did a little search and can't come up with it. I'll keep an eye out.