Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:39 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Thanks Paul, I'd love to hear what you come up with. I've experimented with mine a fair bit in the yard and a little on the water. Seems it's either to sloppy or the space between main and block is too tight.

BTW - a good welding shop should be able to make some nice J-hooks with little trouble. Decent hardware shops will have the knobs. I can send some pictures if needed of a typical J-hook.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:16 am 
forum fanatic

Thanks, d, some j-hook pics would be most useful.

Cheers

Paul

Folbot Greenland II, now at a new home on the Southern Cape coast

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:03 pm 

I'll see what I can do for you Paul.

Meanwhile check this beauty out... not quite a folder but we were talking about mizzens recently weren't we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-TNI19FkOg

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:45 am 
forum fanatic

Paul,
I needed some J bolts for mounting the new cross bar and akas I made for the outrigger I made using a set of BSD/BOSS amas that I bought last May. I decided to make two types: 1) a strictly formed and bolted set, and 2) a welded set. The formed and bolted set works excellently. See the photo below. I just bought a small sheet of 1/16" (1.5 mm) thick 304 stainless steel (from a local steel distributor call Speedy Metals in New Berlin, Wisconsin), designed the shape I needed, cut the size pieces needed (using a jig saw with special blade for stainless steel...you can use a hack saw also, but stainless is tough to saw) and bent them to the needed shape using a simple vise and hammer. I used a 4" or 5" stainless steel bolt (5/16" diameter I think) with nuts for assembling the hooks to the Klepper coaming. I actually like these formed and bolted set better than the 3 welded sets I also made. These formed and bolted J hooks seem to work fine (perhaps due to the upper clamp plate I added, which is not on the standard J hooks from Klepper and Long Haul) on the BOSS/Wilkes outrigger WITHOUT having to drill through the coaming and bolting the J hook to the coaming like BSD/BOSS does with their J hook attachment. I expect that they do this to prevent shifting of the J hooks along the coaming. So far, with the weather conditions I have encountered, I have not experienced this problem, and until perhaps I do, I will refrain from adding bolts that go through the coaming. However, I did provide enough material in the J-hook to allow 2 bolt holes to be drilled through the hooks, if I later think 1 or 2 might be needed. I don't think you can to this with the Klepper J hooks or with the Long Haul Kayak standard J hooks.

I'll post photos of that too. If you want to make either set, I can send you the design for dimensions and bend locations. Let me know please.

BTW, you can see more photos of these by clicking on my Faceboook Klepper development album at https://www.facebook.com/john.c.wilkes/ ... 16c13c1c4#

Cheers,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

Last edited by jcwlx on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:39 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:36 am 
forum fanatic

Paul,
Here is the simple welded one with extra long 304 stainless steel bolt. I made the welds myself by the GTAW (TIG) process at our plant in China. The photos below were taken after grinding excess material and before wire brushing (with a 4" diameter stainless steel rotary brush on an eletric drill) to provide a decent finish. They look fine now. The welds I put on the 3 sets that I made are much bigger than what you get if you buy J bolts from Long Haul Folding Kayaks, which is one of the reasons I decided to make these myself.

Where do you sail around Johannesburg? I used to go to S. Africa a lot in the 1980's and 1990's, spending a lot of time in Joburg, Vanderbijlpark, and Vereeniging, when I was working for Bucyrus-Erie, now part of Caterpillar....I love S. Africa! Would love to be there right now, as it is full summer, whilst it is about 0 to 5C here, and unfortunately no snow yet for skiing. Oh well, we head to Australia for a month come February/March, so that will help. We hope to do some Kleppering in Tasmania this year.

Cheers.
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:00 pm 
forum fanatic

jcwlx wrote:
I'll post photos of that too. If you want to make either set, I can send you the design for dimensions and bend locations. Let me know please.

Chris, that would be great, thank-you. For the formed and bolted set, please. That would be grand.

My boat testing is done on the dull and placid (but nearby) waters of Emmarentia Dam. I have paddled and sailed at Germiston Lake but access is a bit tricky now that the sailing club doesn't allow day visitors.

Longer paddles have been Vaal Dam (very nice and lots of good, long runs) and Vanderkloof Dam, previously known as the PK Le Roux Dam, on the Orange River between Colesberg and Hopetown.

Vanderkloof is an amazing place - the Americans would compare it to Lake Powell, I guess. The reservoir is 100km long, winding through steep, rocky, and arid mountain country. There are lots of eland, baboons, kudu, caracal (lynx) and more than a few leopards. No roads, no lights, no cellphone masts, no houses (there are farms there but seriously hidden and remote), no people, no sound even ... Also, apart from Vanderkloof town at the dam wall, there are no boats either.

Did a five-day paddle there some years ago and we saw not a single other person or craft. But the pair of eland we did see heard our paddles in the water and took off up the mountainside at a full gallop which suggests that even though the place is a proclaimed nature reserve, there's a lot of illegal hunting going on.

That total absence of visible people is quite unsettling. Makes me think of Deliverance or Southern Comfort ... the eyes in the hills. I'm not sure I'd be happy paddling or camping there on my own.

Oh, and up the road, two conservation groups are breeding South China tigers and teaching them to hunt antelope. The idea is that the "rewilded" tigers can then be released back into protected parks in China. So far, the only thing that seems to have happened is bitter in-fighting between the two groups. One guy got his head clawed open by a tiger and the locals say there have been a couple of striped escapees seen harassing sheep in the parched hills.

South Africa. Sometimes you couldn't make it up ....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:06 pm 
forum fanatic

DLee wrote:
I'll see what I can do for you Paul.

Meanwhile check this beauty out... not quite a folder but we were talking about mizzens recently weren't we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-TNI19FkOg

d

Ay, that's a beautiful boat.

Actually, quite very much like the idea of a dedicated sailing canoe - will be better than trying to coax decent upwind performance out of the Klepper. Lots of inspiration on You Tube.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 am 

I know, totally gorgeous, and amazing handling right? But, you can't pack her up and put her in the shed for winter... maybe someday but for now I like the Kleppers.

Here are 3 views of an original Klepper J bolt from an AII lee board I helped sell this past weekend.

The guy that bought these two boats got a great deal but he has some serious cleaning to do...

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:02 pm 

Of course all i do is to tie the "line" to the end of the boom and sail. Then in am a complete novice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:09 pm 

Quote:
Hi d,

I also have the same block and have tried to follow Kapitan's instructions, and I too have not been able to make it work. Then again my whole set-up needs work. I don't have that groovy Klepper crosspiece, nor do I have J-hooks because Klepper won't ship to SA and I haven't got around to ordering from Long Haul.

Still I'll work on that Harken block arrangement this weekend and see what happens and let you know.

Cheers

Paul

Hey Paul, did you ever get a chance to play with that rigging?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:14 am 
forum fanatic

Hey Guys: Head on over to my "To-Do List" post for some updated progress on the mast adapter and cable management boards.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5861#p32452

Attachment:
WP_20150207_20_42_18_Pro.jpg

Attachment:
WP_20150208_13_29_06_Pro.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:07 am 

A stainless steel bolt with a lock nut on would be ok through the mast instead of the removable "pin" and line.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:35 pm 
forum fanatic

john allsop wrote:
A stainless steel bolt with a lock nut on would be ok through the mast instead of the removable "pin" and line.

Thanks for the safety tip John. I didn't say, but the pin is a 'lock pin' with spring loaded ball bearings on the tip so it doesn't come out. There is also pressure between the aluminum tube and the wood in opposite directions that should help keep it in place. I will keep a very close eye on it to be sure it's safe before I do any serious sailing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:24 am 

Both the board and mast mount look great! Nice job on cutting that square.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:01 am 
forum fanatic

Thanks DLee. I'll update the post when I finish varnishing the board. I lucked out on the square peg cuts. Used a dremmel multimax handheld saw and freehanded it. I figured if I screwed up I just lop off the end and try again. Worked first try!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next