Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:04 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I found this image while searching for Reefing Claws and discovered it's part of a book published by Project Gutenberg, 'Voyage of the Paper Canoe' by Nathaniel Bishop.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32333/32333-h/32333-h.htm

Looks pretty interesting... I certainly like this sail design. Super clean and sweet if you ask me. Might be a nice rig to use with the Klepper mast on our singles.

Thinking about Reefing Claws... for a light rig like the Kleppers, etc., is there any reason not to make one of these out of wood? There's not much to them, search Reefing Claw images and you'll see what I mean. They are crazy expensive to buy... if you can find one.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:25 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Dennis,

How about (marine grade) birch plywood? I might not trust the cross grain bending on solid wood.
Alternative: Look for an aluminum flange of the desired diameter, modify this and add rollers to make your own reefing claw?

Chris O

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:42 am 

Both great idea Chris, thanks.

So it just slides over the end of the boom right? Threading the standing sail between the slot? Kinda awkward but simple I guess.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:39 pm 

That's a standing lug, isn't it? I have something similar from Solway Dory for my canoe. I tried it once on my Wayland Harpoon and discovered that 35 sq ft is a bit much for a kayak, given its narrow beam.
http://www.solwaydory.co.uk/products/ca ... ling-rigs/
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:32 pm 

Yes I believe it is a lug sail.

I always thought the sized right lug sail would be good for the beamy folding boats and when I saw the illustration above it seemed like a very nice size for the 'canoe' it's riding, and maybe for our sized boats. It's a nice looking sail and I believe they are quick and easy to rig... and maybe reef. One of the things I always liked about the idea of a Lug sail was that as you reef it you can lower it and bring the area of the sail lower to the boat. Lower the sail, lower the drama right? I know know....

The Klepper S1 rig (the small one for singles) is about 27 sq. ft. and that's with the jib. So flying 35 on the main of a single... yeah, that's entertainment. Gonna need Mark's new hiking seat and harness for that one! Ha. Did you try reefing it at all?

I read a little bit of the story - starting around Chapter 5 when he picks up this boat at the factory in Albany, NY on the Hudson River. I might read some more, I liked it, I just don't care for a lot of reading on my computer.

Got any pictures of your sail rig?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 pm 

DLee wrote:
<snip>
The Klepper S1 rig (the small one for singles) is about 27 sq. ft. and that's with the jib. So flying 35 on the main of a single... yeah, that's entertainment. Gonna need Mark's new hiking seat and harness for that one! Ha. Did you try reefing it at all?

I read a little bit of the story - starting around Chapter 5 when he picks up this boat at the factory in Albany, NY on the Hudson River. I might read some more, I liked it, I just don't care for a lot of reading on my computer.

Got any pictures of your sail rig?

d

There are some pictures here taken of my first time out in very light winds. And there is a video here. (The drysuit was hardly necessary, but is nicer when there's more risk of going in! Good footage of Greg paddle sailing it from 44 seconds in.)

Normally in higher winds I would be rather more active when paddle sailing. I've recently acquired a smaller 25 sq ft lug sail of a very similar design on shorter spars and I may try that one out with a kayak in light winds perhaps. It should be possible to modify either of these to reef, but currently they don't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:57 pm 

Great!

So tell me about the rig. Is it easy to set up and break down? Something that could be done out on the water?

It seems to me that you could lower the sail, roll it up and put it alongside fairly easily for paddling. Amazingly similar to the illustrated one above.

So, the lines at the end of the boom... are they necessary to keep the boom from billowing up?

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP