Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib Furlers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:28 am 
forum fanatic

I got a good deal on a small furler from another kayak sailer and tried it out recently on my Klepper S4 setup. Worked a treat from the moment I set it up. I added a small cleat to the leeboard bracket so that the control line can be cleated at any length. I tried partial furling to depower the jib and found it worked better than I could have imagined. Having the jib out of the way during launching and retreiving is a real bonus. I found you don't even need a swivel on the halyard as the rope can twist easily enough although my next improvement is to add a swivel I got from a game fishing shop. Would you believe these things have ball bearings, are tested to 100kg and cost me $5.00 with a stainless steel clip that allows easy disconnection of the sail from the halyard. I would almost have to say a furler is essential equipment and wish I had got one years ago.

Cheers,
Jim

Post subject: Re: Jib Furlers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:06 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

That's a great review of the furler Jim, thanks. Can you give us an idea of the size you're working with? Maybe a couple pics? I'd love to find one... (for cheap, ha).

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:42 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I just realized I've had (at least I think) a long standing misconception about jib furlers. I always assumed they worked with a spring system (like a retractable cord mechanism) but they actually don't, do they? If I'm not mistaken now it's simply a spool system with a line on it that when pulled, rolls up the sail. Pulling the jib sheets reverses the process and deploys the sail - right?

This seems like something that would be pretty easy to make for a lightweight rig like the Klepper jib. Is there something I'm missing here?

I just saw a picture of John's somewhere... it does look very slick.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:37 pm 
forum fanatic

I'll take a pic of my setup next time I'm rigged. There's not much to the furler. It's basically a drum on a stub axle with a mount from the axle to the bow and a connection from the center of the drum to the tack of the jib. A control line is wrapped round the drum with a fairlead that keeps it feeding off the drum cleanly. When the line is pulled it spins the drum which rotates the tack and winds up the jib. I thought of making one out of a fishing reel. Over this way they have a brand called "Alvey" with a spool on a cantilever axle which gives access to the side of the drum whereas most reels have the spool enclosed.

Cheers,
Jim