Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:13 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Thanks for that link Chris. I also found the picture in your first gallery... it's 134 of 155 if anyone else wants to see. So how did you connect the eye? Pop rivets or metal screws?

No rush on the photo, believe me I know how much work it is. But for comparison sake I like consistency. Sorry. If and when you get around to setting it up again, frame 136 is a perfect orientation and 86 would be a great background... ha. Just a little more work for you there Chris.

I'm going to steal your raising the sail idea. I think I'll use the BSD mast when I do my S2 comparison. There will be some rigging issues and perhaps the need for an additional control board but the beauty of the AEII is plenty of room. Can't wait to get that sail out again after spending time with the 36HP.

So that Rick Alpert rig, #127, is that a Klepper sail rig? It looks different. How did it sail? it looks fast.

Shot 140 is pretty cool as well. It's neat seeing the two boats sides by side with the different sail rigs. Let's put ChrisT to work on getting the visual sail comparison pic of the schooner rig... got that ChrisT?

Shot 150... that genoa is so huge... wow.

Thanks again,

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:29 pm 
forum fanatic

Dennis,
Yes, the stainless eye on which I mounted the double block to the lower section of the mast is pop rivetted to the mast.

I understand what you want with a side view with main and genoa installed, but the genoa is so large it really overlaps the main and runs far back behind the mast and almost to the Spring Creek Universal Receiver control board.

Yes, Rick Alpert's boat is a Klepper A2. Not sure how well it sails myself, since I have not sailed it, but Rick reports that it sails very well, and the mizzen sail makes for good coming about.....as Krisztian Kasza (in Budapest, Hungary) also reports, with his Klepper A2 with the Klepper S2 sails, mizzen, and Coreen outriggers. I believe he bought a small sail from Flat Earth Kayak Sails, and mounted it in the mizzen position....he really likes it. I saw one of these sails at Rutabaga Paddle Sports shop in Madison, Wisconsin earlier this year, saw the ridiculous price they wanted for it, took measurements, and might make one myself next year.

Photo 147 in my first album shows the 32 sq ft Sailrite genoa lying flat on my living room carpet with the 14 sq ft Klepper working jib sail sitting on top of it....shows a good comparison of size. If you want to purchase a genoa of this size for your Klepper or Long Haul, I expect that Sailrite will sell you a sail kit (like I bought for about $150) or a completed sail (for about $300). I expect they will have my design and name on record in their system and can offer it to you. You just need to make sure that you have a long enough mast on your Klepper or Long Haul to carry this size of sail.

Happy sailing!

Chris

Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:15 am 
paddler

jcwlx wrote:
Dennis,
I'm sorry, if the third photo in the second album isn't good enough to add to your visual comparison thread. I don't plan on assembling it all again very soon for another photo opportunity. It's your decision if you want to use the photo that is out there or not.

If you look in the first album you will see a close up (sorry, it's a little out of focus, but completely understandable) of the double Harken block and exactly how it is mounted with a stainless steel eye to the lower mast. A picture is worth a 1000 words. It is the "29 mm Double Carbo Air Block, #342", work load 660 lbs, break load 1625 lbs, max line size 5/16". It has full 360 degree swivel capability. See: http://www.harken.com/productdetail.asp ... &taxid=416. Price $43.95.

Chris

Post subject: Klepper Aerius2 mit S4
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:19 am 
paddler

Hier ist ein YouTube Video von meinem alten Klepper Aerius 2 mit S4 Besegelung mit 2 Pers auf dem Internationalen Faltboot Segel Criterium 2017 Müritz Plauer See
https://youtu.be/BEFu_9tph9Y