Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JIB FURLER
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:46 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

If anyone is interested in Jib Furlers i have recently puchased ones made by Seldon. The lower on is a Seldon Lower Swivel Furlex 20s Drum with Rope. (part#539-455-02) and a Seldon Top Swivel Furlex (part#539-450-01). I havn,t yet tried them yet owing to personal problems getting out. The price for both was about $109 US.(if i removed the VAT correctly) I obtained them from www.sailboats.co.uk. For one of my Kleppers i already have the one sold by Klepper which was more expensive.

Post subject: Re: JIB FURLER
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:29 am 
recent arrival

I searched for a jib furler for my Aerius II. The one in the Klepper shop seemed expensive, so I
wanted to buy one from Careen. But my e-mail to Careen bounced. Are they still active? Then, only by
luck because I search in english, I found this alternative :

http://www.faltbootsegel.com/shop/rollr ... -und-s.php

I thought it looks nice so I ordered a complete package. You can also order parts. His other folding
kayak sailing gear also look nice.

His communication and service are good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:23 am 

The one you bought looks very well made, i might get one for my Triak. The furler sold by Carren is the same as the one sold by Klepper, Careen actualy sold it first and i think it is made in the UK but i don,t know who the maker is. The Klepper/Careen one and my latest by Selden are both from plastic material, the one you found looks much superior. I have just been through the "shop page" and what a good supply for us sailers. We will all be looking there, thank you for sharing your "find"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:11 pm 
recent arrival

Yes I like that it's all metal. I'm interested in his ama outrigger kit too, but it's a little too expensive for now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:12 pm 

Hi John, how's it going? Haven't heard too much from you lately. Hope all is well. Are you sailing at all?

This is a very interesting site, thank you andersos.

Here's a question, at the beginning of the video (within the first 30 seconds), the author and owner of the company (I'm assuming) is paddling a double kayak faster than I've ever seen a double folder go... frankly, it looks to be going faster than most single... what the heck is that boat? It's got a very narrow stern... anyone know? Amazing.

I like that furler and I like the mizzen sail. Pretty neat stuff. I am very envious of the apparent following of folding boats and sailing them over there in Germany. I wish that interest would present itself here in larger numbers.

John, do you have a picture of your furler that's for sale?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:55 am 

Dennis,i made a mistake somewhere i don,t have a furler for sale. You havn,t heard from me as i have not been out at all this year. My wife became ill and i have been looking after her, i can,t leave her long enough for me to go sailing. But she,s on the mend and eventually i will be able to sail, the sea is only 100 steps away so i can look at it. The speed of the boat in the video, could the impresion of speed be enhanced by the wide camera lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:56 pm 

John I wish your wife a speedy and healthy recovery. I'm sorry to hear you guys experienced this after your long anticipated move back home.

I guess I misunderstood your post about the furler. Sorry about that. I do like the furler from the Kajaksegel site.

I don't think camera angle is a contributing affect in this instance. The angle is rather normal and the perspective is from a following boat. That guy is just moving danged fast if you ask me. He mentions the Pouch boats on his website. Perhaps it's one of those, I think he mentions the RZ85 and RZ96.

I had Google translate the pages because I really like the look of his main sail. He's lowered the mast and filled out the main to lower the center of gravity. This is something that we've talked about before. I think it's a great sail design. Very similar in a sense to the large batwing sails many sailing canoes here in the states use. In combination with the mizzen and jib it really looks like a top notch rig. I haven't seen what the total sail area is yet, but I'm sure it's impressive. http://www.faltbootsegel.com/shop/segelanlage-mistral-2.php

I just purchased a Long Haul MK1 and a BSD sail rig to go with it. The sail is the 36HP so that I can use it on the AEII as well. You know I'm not a huge fan of the outriggers but I'm going to give them a try. I'm looking forward to doing some head to head comparisons between the BSD and S4 rig. The outriggers will hopefully be more of a equalizing effect rather than a drag coefficient.

Seeing how you haven't made it out to the water. Have you at least been able to play in the yard with that sail from Flat Earth?

Nice to hear from you, and again, best of luck at home.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Last edited by DLee on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:08 pm 

John I just did a search for your Seldon lower swivel Furlex and discovered that a boat shop a half hour from me carries it:

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/hsld539-455-02.html

That's pretty cool. Another member here has made one of his own... that's pretty tempting as well.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP