Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long Haul BSD BOSS Mount
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:37 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Mark at Long Haul was very influential in my getting the BSD sail. He loves the BSD rig and really wanted to get me into one. I wasn't too keen on how the outriggers mounted, making permanent changes to my beautiful new coaming; or the height of the outriggers... I wanted them higher... I really don't want them at all, but I think the sail design dictates their usage. For a while at least... training wheels?

Anyway, a lot of back and forth with Mark and I finally decided that if he could come up with a non-permanent mounting system, I'd buy the sails.

I bought the sails, here's what he came up with:

6 web bolts holding the assembly on solid as a rock.

Three guides and clam cleats for the downhaul, mainsheet and main halyard.

The akas are elevated about 2.25 inches with about a 5 inch bolt going through the whole assembly. The blocks are grooved to fit the aka but Mark took it all one step further and added additional aluminum tubing segments to strengthen the center piece. This is probably overkill as the center bar is already double thick... but why not?

The entire assembly was designed to fit over the Expedition spray skirt. The BSD leeboard will fit on this starboard side as well. I just mounted it's pivot assembly tonight and forgot to make the picture of it installed.

The BSD assembly instructions are well written and thorough, the packet is also pretty thick. But other than the lee board adjuster, I didn't have anything to assemble on this rig. Literally plug and play.

Anyway, wanted to show this off, I thought it was pretty cool. Cannot wait to get this rig out on the water.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Last edited by DLee on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:02 am 

Wow! I'll bet that will be generally available before long!

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:00 pm 

So I had a few moments today and tried fitting the MK1 mounting board on my AEII, it fits, but as Mark said, not perfectly. The AEII cockpit has a narrower taper than the MK1.

After much testing and fiddling the best fit seemed to be achieved by adjusting the two center bolts to a snug fit, having the web bolts near flush with the coaming on each side. This allows the two rear bolts to get a good grip right at the #3 rib (or is it #4). These rear bolts aren't flush but the wide seat allows a solid tight fit. The front two bolts don't fit at all and the coaming top groove is seen through the holes.

With only four bolts holding the board it's still really solid. An additional set of holes could be drilled a little back from the front two if you wanted all six bolts to fit.

LH MK1 BOSS mounting board on Aerius II Expedition

Middle bolt fits flush, rear bolt has 1/8" ~1/4" gap, still very solid and tight with 'flat knobs' up top

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:30 pm 

The wind has been super light the past couple days. So I decided to load up the boat and head down to the lake for some 'calm conditions testing' of the sail stuff.

egads those boots stink!

Full BSD and BOSS rig loaded on boat for assembly on water.

Took out the sling seat bottom and put two type IV PFDs (those square throwable cushions) on the bottom of the boat then covered them with a green foam sleeping pad. This would allow me to kneel without feeling the rib. Fabulous solution until I realized, out on the water, I couldn't get my feet under the BOSS mount with the cushion on the keel... aargh. Next, I had made a tiller handle by taping together two AEII stringer pieces with Gorilla Tape and connected the hook to the rudder arm. Apparently Gorilla tape doesn't like water - that joint came apart in about 20 minutes. I tore the piece of Gorilla tape into strips and jammed two pieces inside the rod connector... I'll be lucky to get these apart, ha. Fixed both these things back at the dock.

I used this BOSS cross bar all day long as a grab rail while moving around the cockpit. Very excited about using the sailing seats... there's a harness as well... using this combo will be serious sailing... or a lot of bailing.

Won't say set-up was uneventful but the boat is amazingly stable. I rigged the sail kneeling, but had a hard time turning around to set the full reefs. That was better done sitting... which I couldn't do because of that cushion... Eventually I got it from kneeling position. I couldn't get the outriggers out from under the tie downs from the kneeling position. Balancing on my knees was fine until I tried looking back... then swimming squirrels would magically appear and wobble the boat.

I have to say the BSD rig is all top notch equipment. It's sewn really well, the hardware is great, the whole system is extremely well thought out. The mast pieces float and it's all just really solid. I'm quite impressed with it. The only thing I had trouble with was getting the battens to pop to the opposite direction. I loosened them and that helped a bit but I generally had to make the change by hand for the lower battens and use the canoe paddle for the upper. I had the sail reefed to 22 sq. ft.. The leeboard worked fantastic the few times the wind picked up, it held it's position and really held a nice course... I have high hopes for it. This rudder seems plenty good as the boat steers beautifully even in the lightest wind... very nice.

continued...

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Last edited by DLee on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:49 pm 

continued...

Was a little concerned that the BOSS mounting platform was going to take up too much of the cockpit. I does take up a lot of space but it also puts the aka close to the middle rib... tough trade off. I was able to get up and down fairly easily with a little practice. I used the back of the coaming to raise myself with my hands and then I could get my legs out to move into a kneeling position or sit on the back of the seat/boomerang/back deck. The deck doesn't take up any more room than the expedition spray cover cockpit. But it's not flexible like the spray cover is...

So far I really like the platform itself. The three control eyes and jams work great and the rest of the deck is just a handy deck. It's solid as a rock; I gave it quite a beating today and it held tight beyond the call of duty. Even without the outrigger in place paddling was not easy but Ok with the canoe paddle. A little more tedious on the leeboard side.

This is what the boat looks like from water level after a capsize. It's just not wise to push on the windward side of the sail to flex the battens when the wind is already healing you over... The rig turtles with the same slow determination that the S4 rig does. As a matter of fact the entire capsize was with the same slow determination that the AEII has. Ha. There comes a point in the capsize, and it's early, where if you are in the cockpit you simply cannot physically lean out the other way... had I been on the sailing seat I might have been able to save this... but that would have required wind... The giant leeboard was great for spinning her back up. Cowboy rescue was easily accomplished; I sat on the back deck (on top of the BOSS outriggers) and used the bucket while the pump ran directly below me in the first stern compartment. Took on about 4 inches of water.

All in all a good day.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:42 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Brilliant report. Thank you. (You just answered the question I asked in your other thread. :-) )
I

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:52 am 

Ian, any sail on the T9 is a recipe for disaster unless you're really good at sailing... or have some lateral support. At least that's how it's been for me. I like the Harmony sponsons on the T9. The boat will roll over like a log without. Patti from Kayaksailor suggested using thigh straps (?) in another thread - that certainly cannot hurt with the T9. Another thing about the T9 sailing is that I found it pretty difficult to re-enter after a capsize with the KS. With the proper support though I had some pretty great sailing with the T9. Hobies worked great but I liked the smaller footprint of the Harmony's.

I think the BSD at 22 sq. ft. will be doable for the MK1... I think (without outriggers). Perfect wind today but I couldn't get out. I can tell you this, that when the sail catches the wind the boat really wants to take off. I like it. If it turns out to be too much sail, I'll definitely let you know. I do think that getting up in the cockpit to counter lean will be necessary with the BSD.

I was going to write a review but that seems a little redundant. But totally happy to answer any questions about either the sail or the MK1. I know I had a ton of questions before I got mine and response was kinda ... slow. But now that I have one, I'm happy to share the info.

The BSD sail is definitely a step beyond the traditional stuff. Better or worse, I don't know. I'll be happy if I can sail without the outriggers. But having them as backup might be nice. Haven't tried them yet.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:18 pm 

Dennis, from the photos and your description Longhaul must now be the best folder of it,s type available, and that mount is beautiful if one can describe a piece of ply as such. No doubt with the BSD rig you are going to have the best "sailer" there is. For us outrigger types that BOSS looks the ticket and i am thinking of putting one on a hardshell. If only i had time a Longhaul would be coming to the "Scillies". The info you have already provided is as good as a review and the only way to really compare the varius sails is to let them perform side by side on similar boats if there are other Longhauls in your area as then they would have the same wind conditions.