Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flat Earth Sprit Sail
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:43 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Dennis. As you know i had some problems with the sprit sail from Mick. I was getting to the point of leaving so i probably caused some difficulties. I made the sprit, which is the diagonal "boom" curved hoping this would allow thwe sail not to press against a flat "boom", unfortunatly the way the sprits are fixed to the mast they lie as the shape and "lashing" allow being free to swing round the mast. Photo 004 shows how it should be and photo 012 shows what happens, it goes on it,s side. So i will try a "flat" sprit perhaps made from bamboo if i can find any. Though the local sail maker might have some ideas

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:52 pm 

John, hasn't Mick been able to help you with this at all? I think it' somewhat pathetic on his and Flat Earth Sails behalf to leave you literally 'hanging' with this sail. I just don't think a sprit is a viable solution for a kayak sail. Too much weight up high...

Personally, I'd consider sending it back to him and tell him quite honestly that it's worthless without some accurate rigging instructions. Tell him you want your money back or will take a couple of the smaller Flat Earth sails in exchange... I don't know what you paid for it.... I'll buy one of the 'regular' Flat Earth Sails off you then... ha.

Meanwhile, the only solution that I can think of is to rig a small boom or gaff at the top of the sail, going from the head to the peak. Connect the sail to that, and then have this gaff connected to the halyard in a wishbone type of arrangement. It would be nice if a block could be used for this gaff to find it's center but I doubt that will occur naturally. You'll probably need to find the right spot and tie a loop in there (I recommend a mid line bowline) so that the whole thing hangs nicely. Actually you'd rig it very similar to the Klepper S2 with the exception that your gaff would be much more horizontal in orientation. You essentially have a batwing sail here without the top of the wing and without battens to hold itself up.

I tried raising the BSD sail without any battens and ended up with a sail flopping over just like this one of yours. Sewing a batten into yours might help but I doubt it would be worth the effort.

Good luck John. I'd be interested in hearing or seeing what Mick has sent you in terms of rigging this thing.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:09 am 

John, which is the newer Klepper sail rig, S2 or S4?

Thanks,

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:48 pm 

Believe it or not, the S2 is the current one-- reportedly almost identical to the old S4. I agree that the nomenclature makes no sense at all.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:50 am 

I don,t know but as the S4, S2 and the S3 are virtually the same with minor modifications, initionally there were no windows in the sails, then there was a rectangular one and finaly tri-angular, also the advice for attaching the main sail to the mast was lashing the sail to the mast by wraping or looping the "line" round the mast and going through the grommets on the sail, now i have what look like stainless steel shower curtain hooks holding the sail to the mast, the sail area seems to be just about the same. Flat Earth, I was told this sail had been "tested" on an open canoe, i couldn,t find out how it was rigged, i expect Mick, with his illness forgot to reply. I tried a short heavy dowel as a short boom at the top to hold the back corner out but i didn,t like it, threw it out and as i was leaving resolved to sort it out here, so i now have to get down to it. I think i will also use the stainless steel curtain hooks that Klepper are now using, on the Flat Earth, their seems to be some available from Amazon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.