Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:04 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Paddling and sailing from the Isles of Scilly to the Isle of Wight is something i woudn,t consider perhaps because i would be on my own, the locals would consider it insane or dare i say it , age, (next year 79). A few people have kayaked from over from Cornwall to the islands but accompanied by a launch in case of problems. More have paddled from the islands to Cornwall, they go to Sennen Cove where there is a good beach at Whitesand Bay, (i have never seen it). A sea kayak touring company in Cornwall bring people over for sea kayaking around the islands and the very experienced groups can kayak BACK to Cornwall if the weather conditions allow it, never single kayaks but as a group. The tour groups and their kayaks are brought across on the Scillonian and most return that way. For the past week or so i have been checking the wind speeds in MPH and most of the time it has been gusting up to between 30 and 40 MPH which would make it pretty well impossble to launch unless going with the wind. Then a sail like the Pacific Action would be best as it can be deployed after launch, paddling back into such winds would be again be impossible and i doubt if sailing it could be done in a kayak, most likly being swept onto rocks would happen. Many people do sail to here in the summer months but on "proper sail boats" They come from the mainland UK, France and Ireland. But the Isles of Scilly should be on everyones calender for probably the best sea kayaking in England.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:44 pm 
forum fanatic

The coast of Cornwall looks so rugged and exposed, and the weather so harsh at times that it's a wonder that a few brave, young souls have managed to actually circumnavigate the whole UK in kayaks. Not for me at 59 YO. I'm grateful to have sheltered Moreton Bay, here in Australia to sail in.
Roberto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:51 pm 
forum fanatic

Ron,
I agree...Moreton Bay is wonderful, and Moreton Bay "bugs" very delicious. Unfortunately, I haven't been there since about 1985 or so, and we didn't get there during our visits to Oz this February and last February....maybe sometime in the future. If so, perhaps we can get out sailing with you?
Chris

Spring Creek outriggers
Souris River Canoe
Wegu 19'Sailboat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:15 pm 
forum fanatic

Yes Chris. I move about a bit too but if we are both around Brisbane at the same time we can do that. Rob.