Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:16 pm 
recent arrival

(96x128).jpg[/attachment]
First time on this forum. I have a vintage Klepper sail bag & contents from about 1960. The kayak was swept away in a flood many years ago and the accessories have moved from garage to garage. I'm a vintage car guy. i need some help as to value. Not in this for the last dollar primarily would like to find someone that could use it. Thank you.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:29 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hi Piedog,

It's almost impossible to tell from that picture what you have and it's condition. If you don't have a website to post a larger picture on, and then link back to here, I suggest posting on Craigslist or something and then linking back here; better yet, in the for sale section of this forum.

I realize you are trying to come up with pricing... in which case a description of the items included would be helpful along with it's condition.

As it is I see a mast, sail, rudder peddles (is there a rudder?), lee boards and a paddle... possibly two sails (main and jib?)... is that an aluminum mast or wood?

Price wise you would probably move it fairly quickly in the $100-$125 range. You may fetch up to $200 but it's hard to tell without knowing the condition. A brand spanking new rig would probably garner $500+/- on the used market... at least those are the prices I might consider if I were chomping at the bit for a sail rig.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:09 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

If the rig is from 1960 i would expect the mast to be wood and the sails made of cotten, both not good. But sail outfits were often bought years after the boat and just maybe the sails are made from Dacron which is much superior to cotton. Looking at the photo it looks like the mast is wood and if the sails are cotten they can,t have much life left in them. Just for the record in 1977 a complete S4 sail rig with a dural mast, sails made from dacron, lee boards and rudder plus the cables cost $299 USD.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:06 pm 
recent arrival

I'll see if I can post on photobucket and link. This stuff is early 1960's, father passed in 1962 so no later than that. Masts are wood, sails probably cotton (and stained). Aluminum rudder and pin are included. I'd mainly like to find someone that could this stuff. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:27 am 
recent arrival

Following is a link to 2 hi res pictures of the sail kit. Feel free to make an offer if anyone is interested. Thanks for the help.

http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/piedo ... t=3&page=1

Piedog