Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:45 pm 
faltbootemeister

Just an update on the hand tiller for a Folbot. The hand tiller works great. Better control that the Folbot T-bar with braided cord lines, though I leave that system in place.

Sitting on the cross-cockpit seat was a bust. The gudeon submerged and the boat took on water. Folbot designed in an opening beneath the gudgeon that allows draining by inverting the boat. The boat also leaked from the stern keel guard, which tightening the screws did not stop. The deck seams were also a source of leakage. The was a 2004 boat that had never been assembled before I bought it last year.

I removed the gudgeon and sealed the opening with tear-aid tape. I removed the keel guard, checked the foam beneath, and reinstalled the guard with marine-grade silicone on the screws. I sealed the seams with water-based urethane seam sealant. The boat no longer leaks.

Since dealing with the leaks I have sailed the boat, but not sitting on the cross-cockpit seat. Over the summer I sailed it off Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. The water was too cold and the conditions too rough to risk being knocked overboard. I'll give the seat a try at the Flamingo Flotilla, where I need only worry about alligators, crocodiles, and sharks.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:24 pm 
faltbootemeister

Another update. Sailing downwind with waves requires a fair bit of pressure on the rudder to maintain course. I may replace the threaded eye with ONE that has a longer shank to give greater mechanical advantage.

The telescoping boat pole is fine for sailing a Folbot Yukon. For the Folbot GII I would want a longer pole.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6