Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:38 pm 
forum fanatic

I'm doing some folding boat housecleaning which should, in a more perfect world, lead to some downsizing. :) I assembled my G2 which hasn't seen water in two years. I dug out its downwind sail rig from its hiding place in the garage. The sail rig hasn't seen wind or water since I purchased it from its previous owner a few years ago. Here's the rub: I seem to have mixed up some parts of my A2 sailing rig (please don't ask about its use or lack thereof: an equally sheepish "nada") with the G2's sailing rig. Does the G2 factory kit (early 90's era) have a two-piece or three-piece mast? Two is too short, three seems tall and rather proud: one inch short of 11 ft. or about 3.3 metres. Of the various puzzle pieces the three mast pieces I fit together and mounted on the G2 seem to fit. Does a 3-piece mast with a total length as quoted here seem correct for the G2?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:46 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Not sure about the G2 rig Martin. But the Klepper rig is two piece and not that tall since it has the gaff rig.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:59 am 
forum fanatic

Thanks for responding, Dlee. 2-piece for the Klepper is good news. I'm about to do some G2-A2 side-by-side exploration of the boats and sail rigs in the yard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:29 pm 

Make some pictures and post them if you can. I'd love to see how the Klepper and G2 sails compare.

I did this sail comparison a while back with the Klepper, BSD 36 sport, and the Kayaksailor:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6177

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:53 pm 

Sorry to throw a wrench in the works, but i have a klepper sailing rig from i think the 1970s and the mast is in two parts. I have a newer klepper rig which is just a few years old and the mast has three sections. It also says in the 2011 klepper catalog that the mast is in three sections. Klepper frequently change specs and parts , Now their boats are being made by one of their competitors, Wayland, who knows if Klepper have a future.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:57 pm 

Good point John. I assumed Martin had a model that fell somewhere in the years between the 60's and the 90's.

But to settle the question once and for all I'll go out and measure the total length of the Klepper mast tomorrow (when it's light out). I'm kinda curious what the length is anyway.

Stay tuned.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:25 pm 

The three piece mast is just under 111 inches long. My two piece is in the back of a bulging shed so i can,t get to it with ease, but i expect it to be the same length.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:11 pm 

My two piece Klepper is measuring almost exactly 109 inches or 277 cm, from top cap to the bottom of the square registration tubing.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:26 pm 
forum fanatic

Thanks for the replies Dennis and John. The dimensions you've given me seem to confirm that one piece of the Folbot mast was mistakenly (or maliciously, depending on one's mood) stored with the Klepper sail rig. Probably those pesky garage goblins making mischief again. Dennis, your photo comparison of the various sail rigs is a work of almost Frankensteinish proportions. I love it!