Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:30 pm 
forum fan

Someone mentionned I should try posting on this forum regarding a G2 that i am possibly buying. It has the old carbon plastic washboards rather than the newer ones. I have seen people on this forum really celebrating the advent of aluminum washboards and I was wondering how much of a detriment the older carbon plastic washboards would be? I Have a Mark Balogh batwing sail that i would mount on it.
thanks for any help,
joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:57 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Joe you might try posting this in the Folbot column as well.

I'm not familiar with the difference but you would want something strong enough to support the Balogh rig. Not such a big deal for just the sail, but if you are adding the outriggers a lot of that stress gets transmitted to the coaming.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:05 am 
forum fan

Hello d,
I am just coming from the folbot forum. Some info there but i was referred here. When i say balogh sail rig i also mean the outriggers. Dont know whether i should buy this boat or not, based on the question of washboards. Then, also, folbot is out of business. If you break something or lose something, well, you are up the proverbial creek and possibly without more than a paddle. A difficult decision
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:50 am 
forum fanatic

I have a G2 with the older black plastic wash boards. I'm a keen sailor and strengthened the wash boards by screwing on aluminum extrusion with a J shape. Leave a gap either side of the hinge. You need to cut out oversize holes so the thumb screws clear the lip of the extrusion but it isn't that hard. It certainly strengthens the wash boards at low cost.
Cheers Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:58 pm 
forum fan

Thanks for rhe feedback.
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:00 pm 
faltbootemeister

arcprof, if you could post photos of the washboard modification I would be grateful. Folbot advised those with plastic washboards to upgrade to aluminum for sailing. With no way to easily upfit now that Folbot is gone, I would love to see what you have done. Most of my GIIs (I confess that between Ann and me we own 5 GIIs, 12 Folbots in all) have aluminum washboards but one has the plastic.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:31 pm 
forum fanatic

Reinforced washboard pics
Cheers Jim

Attachment:
20161221_090834_lo.jpg
Attachment:
20161221_090820_lo.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:25 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thanks for posting the pics, arcprof. I have questions. Why the J shape? Does it bend easily to conform to washboard shape? Any difficulty attaching the Balogh crosstube clamps? Thanks again.

Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:54 pm 
forum fanatic

The J section has strength in both planes. It will bend to the curve of the plastic washboards but stiffens them appreciably for the extra rigours of pounding into chop. The bottom lip is useful for clamping down Lee board brackets using J bolts but I don't know how the Balogh system fixes to the washboards.
My system has had plenty of sea trials. I was out today in a lo ely spanking breeze (12 knots is spanking, 20 knots is getting spanked). Wind over tide was sending water over the foredeck and dripping between my legs. Ye old plastic frames are holding up well. New Zealand summer here with water temp a lot closer to 20 deg C than 10.
Cheers Jim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:22 am 
faltbootemeister

Thank you for the explanation, Jim.

Hardshells x6