G2 washboards for sailing

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

joe

G2 washboards for sailing

Post by joe »

Someone mentionned I should try posting on this forum regarding a G2 that i am possibly buying. It has the old carbon plastic washboards rather than the newer ones. I have seen people on this forum really celebrating the advent of aluminum washboards and I was wondering how much of a detriment the older carbon plastic washboards would be? I Have a Mark Balogh batwing sail that i would mount on it.
thanks for any help,
joe

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: G2 washboards for sailing

Post by DLee »

Joe you might try posting this in the Folbot column as well.

I'm not familiar with the difference but you would want something strong enough to support the Balogh rig. Not such a big deal for just the sail, but if you are adding the outriggers a lot of that stress gets transmitted to the coaming.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

joe

Post by joe »

Hello d,
I am just coming from the folbot forum. Some info there but i was referred here. When i say balogh sail rig i also mean the outriggers. Dont know whether i should buy this boat or not, based on the question of washboards. Then, also, folbot is out of business. If you break something or lose something, well, you are up the proverbial creek and possibly without more than a paddle. A difficult decision
Joe

arcprof
forum fanatic

Post by arcprof »

I have a G2 with the older black plastic wash boards. I'm a keen sailor and strengthened the wash boards by screwing on aluminum extrusion with a J shape. Leave a gap either side of the hinge. You need to cut out oversize holes so the thumb screws clear the lip of the extrusion but it isn't that hard. It certainly strengthens the wash boards at low cost.
Cheers Jim
Folbot:Super, Sporty, Greenland II, Klepper:1960's AE2, 1970's AE2, 1990's AE2000

joe

Post by joe »

Thanks for rhe feedback.
Joe

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Post by RangerTim »

arcprof, if you could post photos of the washboard modification I would be grateful. Folbot advised those with plastic washboards to upgrade to aluminum for sailing. With no way to easily upfit now that Folbot is gone, I would love to see what you have done. Most of my GIIs (I confess that between Ann and me we own 5 GIIs, 12 Folbots in all) have aluminum washboards but one has the plastic.
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

arcprof
forum fanatic

Post by arcprof »

Reinforced washboard pics
Cheers Jim

20161221_090834_lo.jpg
20161221_090834_lo.jpg (111.96 KiB) Viewed 781 times
20161221_090820_lo.jpg
20161221_090820_lo.jpg (80.36 KiB) Viewed 781 times
Folbot:Super, Sporty, Greenland II, Klepper:1960's AE2, 1970's AE2, 1990's AE2000

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Post by RangerTim »

Thanks for posting the pics, arcprof. I have questions. Why the J shape? Does it bend easily to conform to washboard shape? Any difficulty attaching the Balogh crosstube clamps? Thanks again.
Ann and me
Hardshells x6

arcprof
forum fanatic

Post by arcprof »

The J section has strength in both planes. It will bend to the curve of the plastic washboards but stiffens them appreciably for the extra rigours of pounding into chop. The bottom lip is useful for clamping down Lee board brackets using J bolts but I don't know how the Balogh system fixes to the washboards.
My system has had plenty of sea trials. I was out today in a lo ely spanking breeze (12 knots is spanking, 20 knots is getting spanked). Wind over tide was sending water over the foredeck and dripping between my legs. Ye old plastic frames are holding up well. New Zealand summer here with water temp a lot closer to 20 deg C than 10.
Cheers Jim

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Post by RangerTim »

Thank you for the explanation, Jim.
Ann and me
Hardshells x6

Return to “Sailing Gear”