Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Poor man's jib furler
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:48 pm 
forum fanatic

Ahoy all sailors.
I'm a big fan of jib furlers. I got my hands on a cheap second hand furler and it became an essential part of my sailing kit. I regularly travel between New Zealand and Australia and take my furler with me. Last trip I left it behind by mistake and missed it so much I've put together a home made furler that works so well I am sharingĀ it with you.
Attachment:
20161205_111055_lo.jpg

At the heart of the furler is a roller blind mechanism. This one is all nylon and the cord is nylon with nylon balls so it should hold up in a marine environment. The cord is endless and the other end is held by a bungee loop that keeps it to hand with just enough tension to stop it fouling on anything. You need two swivels in the system. I used game fishing ball bearing swivels that come with a handy clip. These are cheap and rated for 80 kg. One goes at the top of the jib where you tie on your halyard. The other swivel goes on the bottom. You can just make out the clip on the black saddle on the bow fitting. The grey cylinder above the white cord rotates as the cord is pulled. The rope running through the luff passes through the hole in the drum and down to the bottom swivel. I crimped on an alloy crimp that jams in the hole so that the rope is twisted as the drum rotates. The alloy rod that links the furler with the clip at the bottom is my latest mod and stops the furler rotating. I did not have this on my first outing and it still worked as tension on the blind cord does hold it but the rod is a big improvement.

Having an endless control cord is a big advantage. You can furl in any direction. There is no long tail to tangle or any cleats to fix the cord that take time to set up with every rigging session. The furler will lock in any position with the slight disadvantage that you need to pull the cord to unfurl whereas with a cleated system you merely uncleat and pull on the sheet to unfurl. However, I find the blind furler is much more positive when setting the amount of jib you want to use.

Cheers Jim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:45 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks for this. What size jib are you using this with. I've just bought a Kayaksailor rig that I haven't used yet but as it has a tiny jib I'm not sure I'll need to furl it.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:58 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Jim,

Most excellent! Thanks, this looks like a great solution for the Klepper S1 or S2. Simon, I am pretty sure it would be overkill on the Kayaksailor jib, and it would make stiking the sail a real challenge. And it is too cold here to sail anyway!

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:39 am 
forum fanatic

Hi Simon,
My jib is about the same size as a Klepper jib. I've seen those Kayaksailor jibs, they are tiny. Still a furler would be handy. Its nice to be able to roll up the jib when it's not needed and saves a lot of flapping. Try yours as standard a few times and see how it goes.
I was out with my Folbot G2 today in wind getting up to 15 knots, I really appreciated having the furler. My jib sets well no matter how much is rolled up. Even a little bit of exposed jib greatly aids tacking as you can back it to get the nose to go through the wind. My mod to limit the rotation of the furler body worked well. The inherent braking in the blind roller held with a lot of pressure on it today. In other words it stays where you set it without any need to cleat the control line.
Cheers Jim