Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sails and Accessories
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:45 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I needed longer J bolts than the longest Klepper make, so I contacted faltbootsegal, http://www.faltbootsegal.com in Germany, my emails were in English as that is the only language I know. They replied in perfect English and I have now received my order for their number 4 size J bolts which are about 1/2 an inch longer than Kleppers longest, (they make one longer), the service is excellent and I can recommend them. One little thing is that they engrave their logo on each piece. If anyone hasn,t seen what they offer, have a look before sailing season starts for us in the northern hemisphere.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:28 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Thanks for the tip, John. I believe that should be http://www.kajaksegel.de/ and/or faltbootsegel.com (they point at the same site).
Still hoping to join you in Scilly for a paddle one of these days ...
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:44 pm 

Ian come to Scilly as soon as you can fit it in, two weeks at least. And that goes for any other folder owners. Have you seen the photo in the coffeehouse of pilot gigs racing? to me it,s not that interesting but it,s a big weekend over here although the local gigs race all summer for the visitors to see. Yes I know faltbootsegal can be found in two ways, but on their invoice they quote www.faltbootsegal.com. I like their sail outfits and their lee board looks good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:17 pm 

This looks quite tempting:

https://shop.kajaksegel.de/de/Fockroller-20.html

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:30 am 

These jib refers do work, providing you don,t wind the jib too far, you have to be able to pull the jib back to unfurl. I have the one sold by Klepper, but this one looks better. They are also sold by Dingy dealers. I have watched the video a few times. The people doing these should watch the details, there is a gray line round the unit, when pulled out it is red, so the jib is pulled out with the line, it dosn,t show how it is furled. On my Triak the main sail is furled round the mast and is pulled out with one line and rewound round the mast with another line. To do this their are two drums on the mast, pull one line and the mast rotates and the sail is unfurled, pull the other line and the mast rotates in the opposite way wrapping the sail round the mast and at the same time the line used to pull the sail out is wound back round the mast ready to be pulled when I want to deploy the sail again. I hope this is clear.

Last edited by john allsop on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:58 am 
faltbootemeister

Does anyone know if these furlers work without a forestay? That is, with a Balogh rig?

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:42 am 

They work on the Klepper jibs that don,t really have a forestay. The lower part which is the part pulled to furl the jib is clipped in the jib attachment point at the bow, the top rotating part is attached to the jib at the top and the line that pulls up and lowers the jib. It is clear in the Klepper calalog. The unit is pulled to furl the jib and as the jib is pulled out the line goes round the spool. As I pull the jib out I keep a little amount of tension on the line so it winds nicely onto the spool and is ready for furling the jib. A small cam cleat is best to hold the line in a convenient place on the control board. The photo of the unit shows two lines, my unit only has one, so I am not sure if this unit has a furling and an unfurling line.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by john allsop on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:03 am 
faltbootemeister

Thanks, John. When I bought Jonathan Waterman's Klepper he sent every bit of related equipment: at least three spray decks, several rib clips and other hardware, a hand tiller, and a small jib that Mark Balogh made for him. The jib helps with tacking, when running, and in light airs. Upwind, as wind velocity approaches 15 knots, the jib becomes difficult to control and may even slow the boat. A furler would be handy under changing wind conditions.

Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 am 

The photos I have added show one by Seldon with it,s swivel for the top of the jib this is a closed drum, the one on the right is the one klepper are selling, this has an open drum. I havn,t yet used the one by Seldon. they are about the same size and the Seldon one is intended for dinghys. Perhaps they both are. They do work but as I said don,t wrap or furl all the jib, leave a small tringle of sail. If you get one try it on the shore to see how it works and mainly see what happens if you over furl by rapping the jib and some line around the jib.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:56 am 

Tim, the furler essentially 'is' the forestay in this case.

I've wondered about adapting a jib to the BDS mast as well.

I haven't tried this, but it seems to me that if you made a sliding collar for the mast, you could place it just above the appropriate 'shower ring' slider for the BSD sail. The sail would essentially hold the jib up... which may be too much weight on that sail ring... but it'd be simple to try.

Of course you'd lose your jib every time you needed to reef or lower the BSD...

Actually, I'm wondering now if you couldn't have a sheet (line) that could pull up the jib (independently) between the BSD shower rings? If the ring had a simple on/off capability you could use the jib alone when weather gets tough.

I always enjoyed sailing in windy conditions with the jib alone... anyway, food for thought.

The furler would stay connected to the bow. Dang, I kinda like this idea... ha

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:48 am 
faltbootemeister

To hoist the jib I have a halyard running through a block dangling from a loop of line. That loop passes through the halyard eye at the top of the mast. While I will still use the jib from time to time, on light air days I will use my new BSD 36 sport. For 20 knots and up I prefer the 32, but for light air the 36 excels.

Hardshells x6