Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reefing the S4
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:34 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

So as many of you know I am a big fan of the OG Klepper S4 sail. Even though the gaff rig is a PIA and the sail itself is often too big.

I'm a bit of a hoarder, I hate to admit it, but it's true. A while back I scavenged some welded rings off of some old military lifting straps that were rotting in my yard. I set them on the kayak rack and there they sat for a good year, looking at me every time I walked by.

Well, Solway Dory makes a beautiful Bermuda sail that is easily reefed by rotating the mast. It made me wonder why the Klepper S4 couldn't be reefed by rolling up the boom... of course the problem was the gaff... it needed to be pulled tight against the mast in order to be upright. If the gaff wasn't up against that block at the top of the mast, it couldn't be pulled tight. So you couldn't actually lower the sail to reef it.

So yeah, one day the smallest of those welded rings got it's message through to me. "Slide me down the mast over that gaff halyard and you'll be able to pull that gaff tight anywhere along the mast!" So I did... and it works.

I'll post a pic one of these days.

I use a thin line on the ring to pull it down the mast over the halyard line (to pull the gaff in tight). This line clamps into the same jam cleat as the halyard for now.

I don't use any connection ties along the luff of the sail to the mast. So far this doesn't seem to be an issue, although I haven't used the full sail yet without the ties.

To reef the sail you simply pull the gooseneck away from the mast and roll her up. The sail can be rolled all the way up to the bottom of the gaff. Put a loop in the downhaul so that you simply slide it over the gooseneck after reefing and tighten her up. You need to take the lowest batten out to roll it all the way up.

So, two problems (of course).

1) The sail doesn't simply roll up evenly. If you roll it up normally the tail end dips down real low. So I put a nice triangular fold in it first and then roll it up. This works pretty good. But it's a surefire reminder to Reef EARLY as it is just a little tricky out on the water, and in weather...?

2) Connecting the main sheet to the boom. There is a scissor type device that will clamp onto the rolled up sail - pressure from the main sheet holds it tight. Somewhere in the sailing forum there is a picture of one. I was going to make one out of wood and made some drawings. But being generally lazy that remains simply a drawing. So yesterday while preparing the boat for a sail it occurred to me that a hardware clamp (you know the metal clamps with the orange rubber tips) might do the job. It doesn't look pretty but as a trial I put a block on the center spring of the clamp and loaded it in the boat. It worked. Simply roll up the sail and put the clamp on. (Very unappealing aesthetically though.)

Unfortunately there's a problem. The pull of the mainsheet on the center of the boom, close to where the original boom clip is, causes a crease in the sail. Exacerbated by reefing? I don't know, but I don't think so. Because if the main sheet is attached at the end of the boom she billows out beautifully (while reefed). Now this may be a problem with the main sheet connection at the center of the boom all the time with the S4 sail that I've never worried about before, but in reefed form it was pretty obviously a 'not right' scenario.

So I'd really like to figure out a way to attach the main sheet to the end of the boom. I love the way the BSD wishbone rig works but the Klepper boom doesn't reach far enough back for this to work so well... unless I sit farther forward, which I don't want to do.

Man, it's always something...

Suggestions?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Post subject: Re: Reefing the S4
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:52 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Sail can be comfortably reefed up to this point, and lowered to any height above the cockpit.

I sailed yesterday, 10 KT winds, gusting to 17, with the sail reefed to just below the third batten. Was about as comfortable as you can imagine in winds like that. No jib. AEII. Not sure I'd sail the MK1 with this sail (without outriggers that is).

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP