Whisker pole for jib

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Whisker pole for jib

Post by RangerTim »

I have a small jib that Mark Balogh made a long time ago for Jon Waterman. I have played around with it a few times with less than satisfying results. When close hauled the jib works well. I have been able to run wing on wing a couple of times. At points of sail in between the jib does more harm than good. I need a whisker pole to move the jib clew further outboard than I can hold it with my outstretched arm.

Any thoughts as to what I might use for a lightweight telescoping pole and how I might attach it to both sail and mast? I have a boat hook modified with a spinnaker pole end that I use as a tiller, but it seems much too heavy.
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

gdwelker
paddler

Re: Whisker pole for jib

Post by gdwelker »

Two options I have used. Both telescoping, so that you can adjust them, and easier to fit in/on the boat.

1. Best option to date - good quality telescoping boat hook from a marine vendor. Undid the boat hook end, added a snap hook on a loop of line fastened thru a hole in the end of the pole to attach to the jib foot. Other end of the pole has similiar arrangement for fastening to mast or deck fitting. I have used this for about five years now.

2. Cheaper option - telescoping paint roller pole from the hardware store. Inside mechanism eventually rusted out.
Kruger Seawind with BSD rig
Kruger Seawind catamaran with sails
Kayaksport Vivianne sea kayak with sails.

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Re: Whisker pole for jib

Post by RangerTim »

Thanks. A sailing friend has given me a telescoping paint roller, which I was considering using as a tiller. I'll give that a try with loops.
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

Return to “Sailing Gear”