Happy Easter Sail

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Happy Easter Sail

Post by DLee »

Hi guys, Happy Easter!

I have been getting a little stressed these past few weeks in quarantine here in NY. We are about 1 hour north of the city and frankly it's a little scary. Anyway, I started tinkering with the boat (MK1) and some sail options. I started with the modified KayakSailer and it works great except for folding the sail upward to strike it... (it's complicated), plus, all the lines to make it work was becoming a headache. So I switched to my Klepper S2 mainsail with reefing. Typically this is my GO TO rig for the Aerius II so I started playing with it on the MK1. For some reason I wanted to try the control board Mark at Long Haul made and the S2 rigging just wasn't falling into place. Finally I decided to pull out the BSD Sport sail and play with it. She rigged up pretty quick, and it was decided to give her a go.

I took her out today in the neighborhood lake, reefed as far as possible and set off. Capsized shortly after the second launch (had to take my glasses off and put them away in a safe spot on the beach) and the mast got caught in a bunch of weeds. Took forever to get the boat righted, when I did the mast was a mess so I pulled it back down into the water and cleaned it off. I was surprised at how nicely the boat laid on it's side with the foam filled mast. After getting the electric pump going and straightening out the lines I started sailing again, this time sitting up on the coaming. It was a pretty great sail but the lake is super gusty as always so had some pretty fast but short runs and a lot of kinda piddling about. The BSD reefed all the way in is certainly a nice size for the MK1. She likes to run on a 35 to 45 degree heel and is very predictable underway and fairly easy to compensate lean to gust when up on the coaming. I typically ride the port and starboard stern corners of the cockpit. Half sitting on top of the seatback and coaming cushions I got from Long Haul.

Here are a few pics. Sorry for the water drops I just wasn't thinking about pictures too much out there today.

In the water after the capsize resulting from sailing while sitting down inside the cockpit. Criminy I don't even have my life jacket zipped up. Water was pretty cold. I had Kokatat's Long John thermals on and pants and a wool shirt. I was fine although I should have worn heavier socks. Judging by what I was wearing and how cold it was, I'm guessing the water temp was in the low 60's, high 50's.

Here's Mark's control board for the BSD. The orange line is a rudder control line. Worked really pretty well for sailing on the coaming. A tiny adjustment goes a LOOOONG way. Hard to stay on a proper tac. Need to think of some kind of wheel to wrap the line around on the control board for easier adjustment (I think). You can just see the top of the moveable lee board on far right of frame. I simply switch it from one side to the other when tacking, hanging it over the mounting knobs of the control board.

Rig on the beach, the lean angle is pretty close to what it commonly is out on the water. The lee board was cut on a whim one afternoon out of regular 3/4 in plywood. It soaks up all the water and gets pretty @%&$ heavy. Very interesting to use. The rubber hose coming out of the cockpit is the bilge pump running.

The full reefed rig.

Ready to roll back home.

So nice to be back out on the water. d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Happy Easter Sail

Post by JohnSand »

Great!
I've had my Yukon on the water a few times this winter, but I don't sail the Folbots (yet).
I do sail a skinny double paddle canoe, sometimes in cold water, but not this winter.
I rigged and sailed my 8' Seahopper folding pram last week, it was a much needed break.

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Post by RangerTim »

Ah, Dennis, I envy you. Over the past 3 weeks several wonderful sailing days have passed me by, including a couple with sufficient wind but little fetch where I would have used the Balogh 18 square foot reefed to 12. Alas, Governor Hogan has prohibited sailing. While I would have virtually no chance of contracting or spreading Covid launching on to the river from home, I comply willingly with the government edict. At least I am enjoying a few weeks without power boats.
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

DLee

Post by DLee »

Hi John, Hi Tim. Yeah it was just great to get out.

I re-rigged a little today in hopes of getting out again. Worked on the tiller line atop the deck and rearranged the coaming seating. So hopefully that will be a little more comfortable. It's just great to play with the boat during these times. Sorry to hear you're land locked Tim.

I've got the 36HP and fully reefed the website tells me it's 22 sq. ft. - It's fun, but there's a part of me that wouldn't mind something like the 18 and being able to reef down to 12. That would be a lot less stressful. It's also a rig that I would feel more comfortable taking out onto open water. This rig is like riding a shotgun. One minute it's barely moving and then a gust hits and you're flying like a bat out of hell trying to get everything balanced, then it's over... Some days you just want to sit back and tule about while relaxing.

How many mast sections is that 18 sq. ft. sail Tim?

My AII deck is starting to show some signs of rot, which is a real bummer because I love sailing that boat, tons of space, especially if you want to stretch out a bit in the back. It also handles the bigger sails a bit nicer. For now the MK1 is doing the job though.

Cheers guys. Where are you at on Long Island John? I'm up in Westchester... South Salem. Pretty sketchy in the hood now eh?

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Post by RangerTim »

Dennis, the 18 is meant for 3 mast sections. In fact, the supplied halyard is not long enough for four mast sections. I love having the small sail because, as you say, under strong winds it relieves the tension. I like to feel that I am well within the limits of my equipment.

I used a 32 for years but the 36 performs much better in light air. However for my taste it does not reef down enough for upwind sailing with wind much over 15 knots, especially if the waves are big. I have learned to accept quite a bit of bend in the mast but I do not like the stress on the akas, which you do not use. If I have no smaller sail aboard than a 32 or 36, in big wind I remove a mast section and lower the sail on the mast. Of course I must be careful not to jibe.

These days, if the forecast includes any probability of strong wind I carry the 18 in a sail bag under the aft deck rigging.
Ann and me
Hardshells x6

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

I live in Rocky Point, which is a few miles east of Port Jefferson. Mount Sinai Harbor and wading River are convenient launch points, but getting south the bays or east to the Peconic is a short drive.
I like a bendy mast in a light boat, it relieves some of the heel in gusts. My BSD Classic 36 rig doesn't reef, I've learned to feather it spilling some wind in puffs.

DLee

Post by DLee »

Tim, you mention being careful not to jibe... downwind sailing is like an immediate kiss of death without the outriggers. On a shifty wind day I have to be super careful of this. Which brings me to a question I've been pondering:

How do you guys mount a wind indicator on the BSD mast?

I'm guessing the 18 does not have any battens if you're keeping it under the deck?

I tried taking the upper batten(s) out of the 36 when I first got it to make it a little more forgiving... but the aesthetic tradeoff didn't appear worth it. It always looked like the skipper didn't have a clue what he was doing... which was just too damned close to the truth for my modesty.

Tim do you find the excess mast problematic when reefing the 32 or 36? I'm wondering why you would take the time to remove the mast section? Have you ever tried to elevate the aka or introduce an angle so that you can heel the boat more without putting stress on the system?

Are you sailing sans outriggers John?

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

No outriggers or amas, just my significant weight plus usually a small bag of sand or a couple of gallon water bottles. It does require caution, but I think I have only capsized it once. I have shipped some water over the side at times. I recently sailed an 8' pram and was amazed at it's stability. I guess when you're used to a canoe, everything seems stable.

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Post by RangerTim »

Some time and some place where the water is warm and without great numbers of creatures waiting for supper, I'll sail without outriggers. I have tried sailing my GII FROM the washboards, which was fun but painful without padding. I sail from the cockpit, which means I cannot counterbalance much.

I do not have a wind indicator atop the mast, though some of my sailing companions do and I have considered adding one. Recently I added additional telltales as per the mainsail in the attached image. That has helped a lot with trimming a fully-battened sail.

When sailing in big wind and rough water I am always monitoring how much the mast is bending and how much the amas are being pushed into the water. (Actually, I am monitoring those variables frequently under most conditions.) The mast bends less with a section removed. Lowering the sail reduces the torque that drives the amas into the water.

I have considered raising the crosstube to elevate the amas. One day I might try it. I would really like to have upswept akas like Solway Dory offers.

The 18 has battens. I stow it on the aft deck under bungees.
Attachments
IMG_3275.jpg
IMG_3275.jpg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Telltale locations.jpg
Telltale locations.jpg (22.48 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Ann and me
Hardshells x6

DLee

Post by DLee »

Had four capsizes with the BSD at 22 sq. ft. yesterday. It's too much sail in really strong, gusty, and shifting wind.

Several times I found myself in irons only to discover the wind coming over the stern. That is such a recipe for disaster but I think it only caused one capsize. They were all varied and I made some pretty incredible saves but none of it was very pretty. The day was still fun till I had one simple capsize where I was able to get the boat back up quickly and then for the goof had it drag me a bit in the water. What I didn't realize was that I had dropped the lee board somewhere along the way. I unloaded the sail on the beach and paddled for quite a while trying to find the board to no avail.

Today I played with some different sail rigs and discovered (for perhaps the second time) that the Klepper sails fit the BSD mast. So the next trip out will be with the S1... thinking of Tim's idea of 'less is more.' Hoping for better results on these gusty days.

I have a board from Long Haul which elevates my aka about 2.5 inches but it's still not that much. I was wondering today if shortening the aka might be helpful with the slight rise. Have you ever tried that Tim? I too would love to do something like Solway Dory's outrigger... but haven't quite figured it out yet.

John I used to have a beautiful 13' wooden, custom, pram with sail and oars. I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have at the time... really wish I had it now. One of my dreams is to cross the Sound with the sailing kayak. I generally launch out of Westport. I think Secaucus Bay (?) might be close to directly across. Haven't looked at the charts in years. Did the trip in my (former) Whaler a couple times though. Would certainly be more adventurous in the kayak. Especially round trip.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

I don't think I would sail my canoe that far. Too much could go wrong in an open boat, also might be a long day.
My boat neighbors think I'm crazy enough after seeing me out in the Sound on my 13' Melonseed. (Another beauty that I let go)

DLee

Post by DLee »

John, it would be a seriously long day. To the point of considering guerrilla camping on a LI beach for me. But that is many many trial cruises away. I certainly wouldn't do it in an 'open' canoe. BTW, if you are ever interested in a large canoe floatation bag (center position), I've got one that I've never used and have been thinking of letting go for a few years now.

Which reminds me, Tim, is it you that has the kayak/sailing store in Vermont? If so, could you send me a link please? Thanks.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

Thank you. I use replacement seats for inflatable boats as buoyancy bags, they are tough and inexpensive.
If you ever decide to sail over, let me know. I have spare rooms in Rocky Point, and a big boat in Mount Sinai.

DLee

Post by DLee »

Hi John, Thanks for the offer. We'll see what the summer brings adventure wise. Cheers man. d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Return to “Sailing Gear”