Older wooden-masted S4 rigging

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

ZGphoto
forum fan

Older wooden-masted S4 rigging

Post by ZGphoto »

Hi everyone! Does anyone here happen to have the assembly instructions for the older Klepper S4 sail rig with wooden mast/boom/gaff? Thanks in advance! I'm unfamiliar with gaff rigs and it is pricing difficult to decypher....

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Older wooden-masted S4 rigging

Post by gbellware »

Well, there may be something here that is useful, or maybe not, it is a very old post...
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1669&p=11007#p11007
Best,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

ZGphoto
forum fan

Post by ZGphoto »

Yeah...I looked through that post... Not very helpful since it deals with the newer aluminum masted rigs.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Can it be much different from the metal masts? the early metal mast had what I call a funny hook on it that a fitting on the end of the boom fitted onto, If I remember correct it fitted from below so if the sail is lowered it will come off. The newer boom has a two throng fork on the end that the mast fits in, i should try and get them out as I have both versions. The jib should be pretty much the same, it fixes to a fitting on the bow and a halyard goes up through the sail which it is part of, stitched in, to the mast, through a pully and down the mast where it can be tied off or brought back to the seating position where it can go into a cleat. The jib is also the forestay I have looked in my old catalogs and there are only line drawings of the sails with a wood mast which didn,t help. Note the wooden masts appear to have been prone to breaking.

thalweg
forum fanatic

Post by thalweg »

Pictures of the equipment you have would help regarding giving advice
1960's Klepper Passat
1970's Klepper Classic Aerius II
1956 15'3" Lyman

DLee

Post by DLee »

I think the wooden mast rigged the same way as the aluminum... in general. Here's a link to the diagram that originally came with the sail instructions, I think. Click the right arrow to see another close up image of rigging.

If you get into trouble posting some pictures will help us describe the setup.

https://www.dennisleephotography.com/De ... -TwzxJK7/A

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

ZGphoto
forum fan

Post by ZGphoto »

Ok...I have it mostly figured out now... But still have a couple questions.
Old S4 rig
Old S4 rig
D5A3291B-8FF7-4CCF-93F6-45FDCD27E397.jpeg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 650 times
Photo is upside down!

There is a line which is secured to a ring at the top of the gaff spar... Where does this get tied off? Also, how does the clew of the mainsail get secured to the end of the boom? Do I need to sew a loop in to fit in the notch at the end of the boom, or is it supposed to be left free? Also wondering how to control the mainsail/boom with a traveler possibly mounted to a board on the lee board cross brace? It seems to be a LOT of sail for an A2!

ZGphoto
forum fan

Post by ZGphoto »

FC244AC7-EB32-4DC4-A51C-52CC981EE426.jpeg
FC244AC7-EB32-4DC4-A51C-52CC981EE426.jpeg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 626 times
133E113D-C0E2-47CA-9717-3B84A15CEB81.jpeg
133E113D-C0E2-47CA-9717-3B84A15CEB81.jpeg (27.06 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Well...I took her out today for a little sail. Worked pretty good! We were able to average about 2-3kts in very light, inconsistent winds, with a couple bursts of speed reaching 6-7kts when a couple stronger gusts came along. At one point, our speed was fast enough to start forming a bow wave and the boat produced an unusual buzzing sound/vibration... I'm thinking we must have been doing at least 7kts at that point. Still need to figure out some kind of control board to handle the lines/sheets. Today, I was just controlling the jib and mainsail boom by hand... And advice regarding this would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

DLee

Post by DLee »

ZG, if you click on the link I posted and hit the right arrow there is another diagram of a control board set-up from Klepper.

If you click the 'X' on the top right of the page it will close that image and take you into the gallery. Within the gallery, and it will take some looking, you will find several control board variations. My favorite is the very small one towards the end of the gallery, but it's designed for a small sail. The concept however can work rigged off the Lee Board crossbar, which I think I have an image of as well.

The jib sheets can run through eyes at the ends of the crossbar and cleat into clam on the stern side of the bar. Attaching too much to the cross bar though can be problematic as it often comes loose from the lee board work.

I recommend making a small control board like the Klepper one to start with and go from there. It's a solid design and offers a lot of flexibility. Here's a video of my AII sailing, I think there may be some shots of the control board in the video. You'll also see some jib rigging. Unfortunately you'll also see lot's of crossed lines and general mayhem... but so it goes.

Good luck, d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ntblwQ2N1I&t=7s
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Return to “Sailing Gear”