Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:04 pm 
I live in Venezuela and just got a shipping quote of $120 from Folbot for 4 sponsons.

As the sponsons are protected by their sleeves on the inside of the hull, where there should be nothing hard trying to poke holes in them, and by both sleeves and hull on the outside, it would seem that they could be made from clear unreinforced vinyl. Tough, stretchy - perhaps they would be even better than PVC coated polyester, as they could expand a bit in the sun before busting their glue joints. And maybe the smooth surface would allow for easier gluing of a well sealed joint than the textured PVC coated polyester... I seem to remember that my old Kleppers had very thin vinyl sponsons, and the only patching I can remember doing was where the tube went into the sponson, an obvious weak point regardless of sponson material. I would use PVC reinforced polyester patches inside and outside the bare vinyl where the tube goes through.

Comments?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:53 pm 
Try it :D

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:56 pm 
I'd finished a Sonnet last year and using clear vinyl for the sponsons. I found that they are air tight, but the clear vinyl always cracks after several folding. It seems very sensitive to temperature. It becomes very firm in cooler weather.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:14 pm 
Thank you for your information. I'll keep looking for material. Rather put the time and money into something that will work.

Reading through the posts, I see that Tom Yost made some sponsons with urethane coated nylon way back when, heat sealing it with an iron. I assume that if the experiment had turned out well we would have heard more about it.

Any other tips from Sonnet builders welcome.