Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:48 am 
The link below shows several "Nikumi" baidarka's built at the Yonkers Paddling and Rowing Club in New York.

http://yostwerks.com/Jack095.html - Nikumi Baidarka (non folding)

At the link... scroll down to the bottom of the page for additional links to a 2 part video showing them being made.
I thought this might be of interest to some of you.

These boats were designed as folders with the use of aluminum and HDPE. However, completions of my designs are
running in excess of 10 - 1 in favor of wood frame non folders due to the cost difference, ease of construction, and
the simple fact that not many paddlers want, or perhaps can appreciate the versatilty that folders provide. I much
prefer folding boats, but "we" are in the minority.

At the "Yostwerks" link you can click "Last Page" or "Next Page" to see several other recent completions.

Attached is a new pic I received of a 6yr old Norwegian boy paddling his Sea Flea 11 equipped with small outriggers. The outriggers are
not necessary, but can be useful initially. This boat is only 18 inches wide, but you would be amazed how quickly and naturally small children
adapt to them. Plus...having a low Center of Gravity no doubt helps :D ........ Cheers, Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:19 pm 
Nice pic ! It reminds me of our past Beijing team, seing an Advanced Element next to a Seaflea... sigh...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:59 am 
Quote:
It reminds me of our past Beijing team, seing an Advanced Element next to a Seaflea... sigh...

Sounds like you miss being in China . Did you bring the kayaks you built back to France with you ?

BTW... I'd still like a pic of the Sea Tour 15 you built.

Regards, Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:19 pm 
Quote:
Sounds like you miss being in China .

Let's say that I have to adapt to a different environment, after 16 years spent in Beijing.

Quote:
Did you bring the kayaks you built back to France with you ?

Sorry, I did not. I already had 80m3 of personal belongings, so I only brought back the Klepper (with its skin on frame outriggers). I gave the kayaks to my friend Robert, who built them with me.

Quote:
BTW... I'd still like a pic of the Sea Tour 15 you built.

Check my gallery here: http://foldingkayaks.org/gallery2/main. ... emId=69493 Alper did most of the frame job but left China before the completion, so I finished the frame and covered it with my friend Dylan. If you want a bigger pic, tell me which ones and I'll send them to you once my computer is delivered to my new appartment.

Keep up the good work !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:26 am 
Quote:
I already had 80m3 of personal belongings, so I only brought back the Klepper (with its skin on frame outriggers). I gave the kayaks to my friend Robert, who built them with me.

Romain,

If you had built them as folders, you could have brought them to France with you :wink:
I've posted two pages about your ST15EXP in the Gallery.

http://www.yostwerks.com/RomainEXP1.html

Best Regards, Tom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:36 pm 
Quote:
If you had built them as folders, you could have brought them to France with you :wink:

True enough!

Quote:
I've posted two pages about your ST15EXP in the Gallery.

Your galleries are amazingly big now... any chance for an index, so builders could check variations of the model they plan to make?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:59 am 
Quote:
Your galleries are amazingly big now... any chance for an index, so builders could check variations of the model they plan to make?

I had no plans to index the galleries, but after seeing your comments, Thomas Zeigler from Germany thought it a good idea also, and sent me
indexes he has created. So, to answer your question... yes, new indexes will will added soon :D .... Thanks Thomas !

Yesterday was the last day of summer and I had planned to celebrate the event by motorcycle riding. Instead, I spent the last day of summer shoveling snow...... Tom

A folding Snow Baidarka frame......
It's time to fire up the woodstove in the shop.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:42 pm 
Wow ! What a great last summer day you had ! I guess I will still be sailing on the Seine river while you'll be skating in your country.

With the index, your galleries will see even more visitors, I'm sure. Long job indexing, though.