Heat Guns

Discussion of user-built folding kayaks

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

saleroso

Heat Guns

Post by saleroso »

I am about to buy a heat gun for Yost designed PVC coated polyester fabric/HH-66 adhesive kayak construction and am asking for advice on brands/parameters/sources. Of course I would like to find the least expensive tool that will do the job well.

Alm

Re: Heat Guns

Post by Alm »

The cheapest heat gun costs about $30 at Home Depot. Only hair blower can be cheaper, I think. I found working with heat gun somewhat tricky - you have to learn how close to hold the gun to the material, and how fast to move it along, and on what setting (mine had 2 settings). Too close or too long time at some spot - and polymer coat will melt.

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

Like Alex said, a cheapo $30.00 heat gun / paint stripper from any Big Box store will do.
Mine is a "Milwaulkee" with 1300 watts with 2-speeds.

Another option is a monocote gun from an R/C hobby shop, or online. I used one for many years.
Mine was a "Royal" and had 1000 watts and 2 speeds.

A hair dryer is a bit too low powered for this application and doesn't usually concentrate the airflow like a heat gun.

Tom

krudave
Site Admin

Post by krudave »

The MonoKote gun from a hobby shop will run you about $15, but will be substantially slower than the $30 gun from Home Despot. Once you own one, you will find uses for it. Nothing better for shrinking shrink tubing onto electrical connections, etc. Just make sure no one tries to use it to blow-dry hair -- it will burn open skin.
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Alm

Post by Alm »

krudave wrote:TOnce you own one, you will find uses for it. Nothing better for shrinking shrink tubing onto electrical connections, etc.
Stripping paint off as well - though chemical stuff is often better. My heat gun is collecting dust after I've sold the only PVC hull that I owned. Electrical connections I insulate in a very low-tech manner, with electrician's tape (also has many other uses both at home and in a folder frame, I even carry a small roll in expedition repair kit).

ThomasZ

Post by ThomasZ »

I built my Sea Ranger using an old hair dryer but for my Sonnet I bought a heat gun (Steinel HL 1910 E electronic).
http://www.steinel.de/en/thermo_fuer_he ... elektronic
I don't remember the price but I think it was around 60 €.
I strongly recommend that you buy a heat gun with temperature control.

Thomas
http://picasaweb.google.com/tamatumani

dschin
faltbootemeister

Post by dschin »

hi thomas

what's the reason why your sonnet has so high contrast airtubes??? a kind of glueing???

in this way it looks very similar to the grabner discovery

regards from vienna

hannes

ThomasZ

Post by ThomasZ »

I hope I don't missunderstand your question but the color of the sponson sleeves is more bright compared to the color of hull.

Regards from Werder,

Thomas

Das PVC der Schlauchhülsen ist deutlich heller.

dschin
faltbootemeister

Post by dschin »

hi thomas

regards this pic http://picasaweb.google.com/tamatumani/ ... 3702899730

the "shadows" look like 2 tubes. only optical effect??

auf dem bild schauts aus wie 2 schläuche mit einem platz fürs alurohr dazwischen??

ThomasZ

Post by ThomasZ »

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

RT(F)M
:?: .... :idea: .... :lol:

dschin
faltbootemeister

Post by dschin »

*g* I know this scribble and thaught, that the stringer is inside hull between the tubes and not between tubes and skin. It seemed to me that the tubes und skin are melted together where in the scribble the stringer is drawn

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

that the stringer is inside hull between the tubes and not between tubes and skin. It seemed to me that the tubes und skin are melted together where in the scribble the stringer is drawn
Dschin,

Scroll to the bottom at the link below for a description of how the sleeves and aluminum tubes attach. It's PVC hull, glued PVC sleeves, aluminum stringer... in that order.

http://yostwerks.com/SonnetSleeveB.html

Cheers, Tom

dschin
faltbootemeister

Post by dschin »

hi tom

did I get you right???

hannes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

No... you didn't get me right. Why would one inflate the sponsons before attaching the aluminum stringer ?
The inflated sponsons trap the aluminum tubes, not the other way around as is thoroughly described in the manual.

Tom

Return to “Homemade Folding Kayaks”