Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:56 pm 
We just completed a first single-chine Yost Sea Bee 13, wooden frame covered with transparent plastic (no spec - I live in an area where, by the time materials get to the retail, and for that matter wholesale level, they are sold on a what-you-see-is-what-you-get basis).

We launched yesterday and discovered that the boat is very stable, allowing easy entry and exit with little or no risk of capsize, both tracks and turns well, is easily paddled at good speed, and even with large coaming is dry without skirt in moderate conditions. Delightful.

As unforeseen complication is that sand and grit has worked its way between the long frame members and the plastic skin. Basic folder wisdom states that this destroys hulls, and thus must be removed after every outing, which I have always done with my folders, and their looser fitting skins. Of course when the skin is as tight fitting as you get it, and you can't reach all the way into the hull ends to fool with it, it's another story.

Soft hull material will be forgiving for a while, but will eventually abrade, and larger pieces of grit could make holes pretty quickly.

We have another under construction and are considering attaching hull to top of sheer strake with Velcro so that it can be removed for cleaning.

Anyone have any ideas or observations on this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:04 pm 
The solution is simple.... always use a sea sock. On a folder, it's less important as the skin
can be removed for cleaning the inside. I use a sock with every boat, SOF or hardshell.

Anther option is to make a removable cloth supported PVC skin, as clear unsupported vinyl
doesn't lend itself well to removal.

I'm glad you like the Sea Bee (single chine). Post some pics....

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:25 pm 
I have never considered a sea sock because I paddle in warm water and air, and am more concerned about overheating than about getting cold. But perhaps a light ripstop nylon sea sock, fastened down in the "corners" so it doesn't wrap around you...

I think we might try the velcro attachment to the sheer strake or some other type of removable hull. Maybe one of your aft deck zipper opening hulls would do the trick, but not with transparent plastic. Any and all observations welcome.

Second single chine frame already well under way, so multi-chine will have to wait.

Photos will be posted when available. We were too excited about testing the new boat to remember to take a camera.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:40 pm 
Quote:
I have never considered a sea sock because I paddle in warm water and air, and am more concerned about overheating than about getting cold. But perhaps a light ripstop nylon sea sock, fastened down in the "corners" so it doesn't wrap around you...

I secure mine with velcro at the deckridge to keeps it off my legs. My socks are lightweight coated nylon. An added advantage is that
sea socks provide secondary floatation by greatly reducing the amount of water entering an SOF when swamped. The boat still rides high for
greater stability when flooded, and it's quicker to pump out the water.

Velcro under the deckridge keeps the sock open.... Sea Ranger folder ( 17.5' X 19" )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:47 pm 
Like Tom says - seasock is not to keep you warm, but exactly to keep water (and grit) out. For somebody who built the whole boat shouldn't be a problem to make a nylon sock (vinyl or urethane coated). Commercial folder with socks is Feathercraft (there wes some other, but I can't recall now), and it is nylon, urethane-coated. Don't know the gauge/grade, same material as their sprayskirt. When you use a rudder (luckily, most SOF don't), the sock wears out on the pedals pretty soon - you might need repairs after the first season already. FC sells their socks separately, more than $100 a piece, don't remember - too much for something that doesn't last long (i.e. when you use a rudder).