Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:46 pm 
Hello,

I am starting the build of a Sonnet 16.Usually I seakayak in a hardshell. I will visit my brother in Australia this spring, and as he lives on a boat (actually on the biggest sailing proa in existence) a kayak would be nice to bring. For airline travel I want to keep the weight low.
Next week I will build the strongback and skinning frame.
I have some questions:

-The manual states that you need to take the size of the sponsons before you make the sleeves. However, obtaining the sponsons is a bit difficult (and expensive), the german Folbot dealer talks about 4-5 weeks delivery time. I really want to start earlier. Is it risky just to make the sleeves to nominal size?

-What size of metric tubing have Eurpean builders been using? I still am doubting what to order. I can get 6060 in various sizes, but is is less strong and less corrosion resistant than 60630or 6082.

Greetings,

Merijn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:43 pm 
Quote:
The manual states that you need to take the size of the sponsons before you make the sleeves. However, obtaining the sponsons is
a bit difficult (and expensive), the german Folbot dealer talks about 4-5 weeks delivery time. I really want to start earlier. Is it risky just to
make the sleeves to nominal size?

The sleeves dimensions in the manual will be ok as long as the sponsons are by Folbot. You may want to check with Folbot in the US to see
if ordering from the US is less expensive , including shipping, than from Germany. Consider nylon sleeves ( Sonnet Double) vs PVC as they will
be lighter and less stiff than PVC. Send me a pm about this. Also, Folbot no longer makes 15' sponsosn. They have been replaced by 16
footers on the Greenland II.

6063 tubing in Europe is fairly common. If you want to avoid metric sizing issues, try getting Imperial sizes from the UK. I doubt that 6060
will be a problem for you.

Regards, Tom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:32 am 
Merijn,

A delayed replay I appreciate but maybe my experience will be useful. I am also based in NL and started (some time ago!) to build the Sea Tour 15. After a break of three years for one reason and another I am just finishing it now.

I used standard 19x1.5mm aluminium tubing from www.metaalwinkel.nl

For the inserts I ordered some imperial 5/8" (15.875mm) tubing from the UK. I found that this provides quite a nice sliding fit inside the 19mm tubing. It's important to deburr the inside of the 19mm tubing well with a round file so that the 5/8 stuff will slide in but it works OK. From the top of my head I ordered the 5/8 tube from www.metalsupermarkets.com in the UK but I can't remember if and they delivered to NL or if it was forwarded to me by someone.

Hope this helps,

James

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm 
I started the building of my Sonnet 16. For who is interested: I will try to keep a building blog on:

http://seakayakbuilder.blogspot.com/

Greetings,

Merijn

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:33 am 
Hello Tom, hello Merjin!

I ve a several questions about your Sonnet. I m planing a Sonnet 17,5. I ve done the sponsions for this boat. And than I saw this pockets with rip-stop-nylon. It looks very good and it shoud be no problem for me to make it like you both did. But how did you fix de pockets on the hull?

Thanks for your help and greetings from Austria

Oliver

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:18 am 
Hello Oliver,

I glued them on. The sleeves consist of a flat piece of PVC (tne banana) that is glued onto the skin, and the nylon sleeve than is sewed to the banana before glueing it to the skin. The gluing is done on a flat table.

Are you the guy that put a comment on my blog? I tried to email you but got the mail back undeliverable.

Greetings,

Merijn

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:39 am 
Hi!

Yes I am. My mail adress is: anz111(...at...)inode.at. Maybe u could send me some more pics of your work. It does realy look great. But at the moment, I m spending a few days in Mallorca, better wetter than at home.

Greatings Oliver