Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:58 am 
Hello, due to difficulties with making the homemade sponsons airtight, I am considering to buy a pair of Pakboats Puffin II (or Saranac) double sponsons. The Puffin II sponsons are 4m in length and about 11cm diameter per bladder (i.e. 22 cm height +2cm gap for one double sponson).

The side stringer would fit into the gap between the two bladders (or, one could also cut the two bladders apart, as they each have separate valves).

The only drawback is that the valves are not centered but close to the ends of the sponsons. One would have to attach some 2m hoses...)

Price is about 80.- Euros for a pair here in germany.

Does anyone have experience with using Pakboat sponsons for the Sonnet?

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:16 am 
Quote:
The Puffin II sponsons are 4m in length and about 11cm diameter per bladder (i.e. 22 cm height +2cm gap for one double sponson).

Is 11cm the inflated diameter ? If so, they should work well on a slightly taller Sonnet 14 with near vertical stems. Just use the existing
Sonnet 14 cross section offsets but increase their height to accommidate the wider Pakboat double sponsons.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:19 am 
yes the inflated diameter is 11cm. There are also Puffin "Saranac" sponsons available with a length of 460 cm, mybe i'll consider those over the Puffin II sponsons.. anyway thanks for the quick reply an thanks for maintaining the yostwerks website, it is simply magnificient!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:01 am 
Quote:
There are also Puffin "Saranac" sponsons available with a length of 460 cm, mybe i'll consider
those over the Puffin II sponsons

Rajanski,

The 460cm (15ft) Saranac sponsons would allow you to build a slightly modified Sonnet 16 ... worth considering if greater speed and displacement are required.
Use a 25 - 26 mm (1in) keel tube reducing down to 19mm (.75in) at the stems....for greater rigidity on either Sonnet. This worked well on the
Sonnet double with 400 lbs on board.

I was unable to find accessory sponsons on the Pakboat site. Where are they listed ? The larger diameter "dual" sponsons are of interest to me also.

Thanks for your comments about my website...

Regards, Tom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:57 am 
I just asked my local dealer and they can order the sponsons in 48h..
I think I'll use the 460cm sponsons for the 14' Sonnet, as the overlenght will fold inside the sponson sleeves...

The only problem with the dual sponsons could be the process of inflating them inside the sleeves, because they are not automatically positioned with only one "big" sleeve holding a pair of sponsons.

What I'm considering to solve this ist to cut the two sponsos apart on the center seam...

Thanks also for the hint with the keel diameter, I'm now using 23,5cm diameter for the center and 20mm for the stems, hoping that will provide enough rigidity...

greetings,
rajanski