Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:37 pm 
hi everyone:
my first post in the forum. i tried to scan the site to see if my question has been addressed before, but no luck. Maybe, I just didn't see it. Anyway, here's my question:
To be able to transport this folder in a golf (hard) case, which is roughly 4' long, should i just make the stringer sections 3' or 4' except for the last sections towards the bow and stern? I think it was the sea rider (on Mr. Yost's website), that this was done except the length of the stringer sections are varied lengths (36", 42"...). I just started on this project and so far, I've only cut the HDPE cross sections. It's now time to order the Al tubings from texastowers, and hopefully they'll ship them in lengths specified by the customer. Thanks in advance for any reply and/or recommendation. I hope Mr. Yost chimes in, too. thanks again.
Denny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:14 pm 
Hello Denny, and welcome to the forum. Image

Last edited by cline on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:47 am 
Denny,

Order 6ft X 3/4" stringer tubes from Texas Towers, and cut "most" of them them into 3 foot sections for your Sea Cruiser while leaving
enough 6' sections for the keel / stem ends. That way there will be very llittle waste. The 5/8" inserts will add another 3" to most of the
sections when packing the boat.

At the keel / stems, bend a 6' tube to the final shape, trimming the non bent end afterwards to get the correct length. It should fit into the
golf bag, though it may be longer or shorter than 3'. To minimize it's length if needed, don't add an insert to this section, but rather add it to
keel stringer section 2.

The gunwales and chines will likely require a shorter than 3 foot section at the ends. This will all become evident when you get to that point
in the construction process ... on the strongback. Purchase a good tube cutter ( $50 - $75). It's well worth the extra cost.

The Sea Cruiser was modified in November.... Are you using the most recent offsets, or the earlier version ? Read the Sea Glider, Sea Rider,
and Sea Otter sections of the manual for the latest techniques and materials.

Have Fun,

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:06 pm 
Mr. Tom:
thanks so much for the reply. Now I can proceed to ordering the tube ( in 6' sections) from txtowers. And yes, I am using the revised offsets for the sea cruiser. Thanks again fo the tips. I'll try to update the forum on the build progress.