Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:07 am 
I wear glasses. All them time. I do not know how to roll my kayak. :oops: What do people do who must wear glasses all the time but still may need to do a roll at some time?
Sleepy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:48 am 
To keep costly glasses from taking a dip:
http://www.safetycompany.com/chums%C2%AE-safety-glasses-retainer/p_512.html - mine is different, this is just for illustration.
To keep them protected from salt crust on lenses - don't know anything reliable. Fresh water from flask or a generous spit.

The roll itself doesn't require sharp underwater vision, I guess :-) ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:48 am 
Some retainers work better than others. You should experiment to see what works with your glasses. I tried a lot, and often found at the end the paddle that one or other end of the retainer had come off. I was lucky not to lose them.

When I get glasses now I make sure that there's a little 'swelling' on the end of each arm. Then I just use a piece of string with a slip knot on each end to hold them on. It's a very simple system that has never let me down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:22 am 
forum fanatic

I attach one of those red and white fishing bobbers to the retainer so when (not if) my glasses come off the bobber marks the spot. You should experiment with bobber sizes to make sure the bobber will float with your glasses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:56 pm 
Quote:
When I get glasses now I make sure that there's a little 'swelling' on the end of each arm. Then I just use a piece of string with a slip knot on each end to hold them on.

Mine is exactly what you describe - a string with adjustable loops on each end. Bought at some prescription glasses store. None of those sold at camping stores (with sleeves to put on the ends of arms, like Chums in the link) were to my liking - didn't like how it feels behind the ears. I found useful sliding each loop fore of the hinge, between the hinge and frame, - and then tighten the loop. Because my string is not elastic, I tied a knot in the middle of the string (at the back of my head), to make the string so short that it would have just enough length to slide over my crown. (Small loops at the hinges stay there permanently, I rarely take the string off the glasses during the trip).
This one looks similar to what I have: http://www.safetycompany.com/black-adjustable-elastic-eyeglass-strap/p_1718.html?osCsid=abe3280a6dff2cd5a2dc9a8e1fccc45a. Note that retaining clips attach fore of the "swelling", so it won't slide off the end. But mine is better - simpler.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:32 am 
I just tie the glasses with a piece of string to my PFD. It rather depends on the glasses, some always come off when rolling, other stays in place. It try to use the proper fitting ones. Not having to grab for dangling glasses is a huge advantage, especially as my eyesight without glasses is almost nonexistent. combination of the string with retainers works well as well.

Greetings,

Merijn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:11 pm 
Thanks for all the replies. I see now what others are doing. Any suggestions for me as to where I might go to learn rolling?. I'm in the Seattle area.
Sleepy